Capco Surface Grinder- Restoration-Help needed!

1. Ancient_Axeman Member

Hello all
    I got an old Capco Surface grinder a while back and it had been converted into an improvised vertical mill!
    I wanted to restore it as a surface grinder but am missing the spindle and head bearings.
    Finding out information seems almost impossible!
    Apparantly it might be similar to other hand operated Eagle, Superior or Herbert surface grinders!
    If anyone knows anything about the spindle area, as in Photo's, drawing or measurements I would be so grateful!
    I understand that I may have to get a spindle made up but that is hard to start without some sort of reference as the motor drives the spindle from the center of the machine too!
    Thanks for reading and feel free to comment or question. image(1).jpeg image(2).jpeg image(6).jpeg image(3).jpeg image(4).jpeg image(5).jpeg

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Start with bearings and work backwards from there maybe.

Assuming you will already have read this but posting anyway

http://www.lathes.co.uk/capco/

3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

video roughly but is a capco

4. Ancient_Axeman Member

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the comments and thoughts!
    The Old Tony videos are great but stop short of the area I was needing lol
    I think it may be in his elusive 4th episode if he ever does it!
    eLuSiVeMiTe the lathe website is about the only info out there on the Capco surface grinder!! I have read it multiple times and it has some valuable data.
    I am stuck on the starting point with the spindle as between the bearings is the drive for the spindle [ I have the original fabric drive belt itself and the motor which sits in the bottom of the machine but dosent have the adjustment bolts that poke through the casing like you see in most Capco photos] so I am not too sure what id's will be in the bearings whether the same or different and if that make affect the installation of the spindle itself?
    To add another layer of brain fuzz I have read that the spindle may have some sort of tubular cover with a hole for a tommy bar thats is used to lock it for wheel chages?
    Oh the fun!

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

I'm assuming single speed so can work from 1400rpm motor and use the bottom pulley (original?) To work out the size of the top pulley
    Also have the diameter of the casing which should give some clue as to pulleys max size

Ancient_Axeman likes this.
  6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

any more info that you may have ?

my milling machne is old and has bronse bearings in it i do believe thats in 1920s-1930s machine

7. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

@Ancient_Axeman The spindle and associated items will have been balanced and to replicate this...
    Without some dimensioned drawings, or someone who has one stipping and measuring everythin and photographing them reverse enginering this is going to "Very" tall order.

I wish i could be more positive

8. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Cant say Ive seen a surface grinder with a table screw instead of a rack before, cant see how you could move it quick enough to avoid burning the job

9. Ancient_Axeman Member

Milkybars
    Thats a great point! I am determined not to let this old machine go to the scrap yard tho as I have not seen another image of this type of machine with the Z axis similar!
    I believe it to be an uncommon model maybe?
    The reverse is also true of it needing to be reverse engineered and being a 'Very' tall order [to which I agree] is that for the sake of pursuing the information on the spindle that could be the only thing in unlocking the restoration of a great little grinder?
    Not everybodies cup of tea I agree ;)

10. Milkybars

Milkybars Forum Supporter

Hopefuldave likes this.
  11. Ancient_Axeman Member

Good point and thanks!

The original motor was a 1400 rpm speed one as you said !

The original bottom pully drive surface measures about 105mm in diameter with the casing aperture of about 90mm clearance at the top.
    I am not sure what speed most surface grinder wheels run at, I was thinking about 3000 rpm based on some wheel info?

12. Ancient_Axeman Member

13. pressbrake1

essex england
    have you had a look under the table to see if the rack is present?
    A spiral bevel gear will have to be made for the drive

Ancient_Axeman and Milkybars like this.
  14. pressbrake1

essex england
    Are the spindle bore holes parallel or taper?

Ancient_Axeman and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  15. pressbrake1

essex england
    Someone has attempted to turn it into a mill in looking at it hence the unfortunate z axis conversion

mtt.tr likes this.
  16. Ancient_Axeman Member

Hi Pressbrake1
    Thanks for the input.
    Nice observation and I think that when the previous owner who had 'bodged' it into a small vertical mill did this and just blanked off the original shaft which is on the right side with a nut in place, I am assuming I can reverse this.
    Would burning be an issue with surface grinding if coolant is applied?
    Its been about 27 years since I last used a surface grinder but would logic say a faster cut would generate more heat? I am not sure but open to listen to any and all on this :)

17. pressbrake1

essex england
    When feed is too slow heat builds up and the metal expands and is then ground off resulting in an unfortunate finish and surface accuracy.
    If you cant get the rack going maybe a fast helix chinesium ballscrew

Hopefuldave and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  18. Ancient_Axeman Member

They are parallel and measure 2 1/4 inch in diameter
    I believe the Z axis is original not a conversion.

19. Ancient_Axeman Member

The reason I say I believe the Z axis is original is that it has what looks like manufacturers incremental markings and works so well you can turn it with one hand.

20. Ancient_Axeman Member

I will check this.
    This input is greatly appreciated but you guys are making me run up and down to the garage ;)
    Im worried I might start losing some weight !! :o

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
Advertisements