Can't see

1. Peter Anning New Member

Hi,

Just bought myself an R-Tech 180 Mig welder and using BOC Argoshield Light on the Smaller/Welder Deal. Very happy with the set up so far. Been following loads of videos here and on Youtube. This guy seems good http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-videos.html

I am struggling to see clearly, I wear reading glasses for close up stuff so I have them on under my auto darkening mask https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/r-tech-speedmaster-xl-auto-welding-helmet/

I can just about see the weld start but trying to keep in a straight line is a real struggle. I am quite used to Oxy welding where things happen a lot slower. With Mig I need to get going along the joint as soon as the arc fires.

Any tips here I was thinking that some kind of ultraviolet marker along the edge would be a good idea but I have not read anything about this.

Peter

2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Increase the ambient light - some people have even modified their helmets by fitting LED lights to them. Try marking the edge of the weld with white chalk. Reduce the darkness setting on the helmet.

PavePogue and Shoggi like this.
  3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Hi & welcome to the forum :waving:

Do a search here for "cheater" lens, get more light on the work/weld area and try a chalk line to help with keeping the weld where you need it.

Have you had a scan through the tutorials? (buttons at the top of the main page)

RonA likes this.
  4. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

I had this problem when I started and as said above I just use good lighting around the piece I'm welding and adjust the helmet to suit your needs

PavePogue likes this.
  5. Peter Anning New Member

PavePogue and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

7. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I am new to MIG myself and had the same problems as you have described, I increased the lighting with a simple angle poise lamp and a 2.0 diopter cheater lens. This mad a world of difference.

PavePogue likes this.
  8. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

New mask ? have you removed the plastic covers from the inside of both plates?

zeppelin builder and PavePogue like this.
  9. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

One other thing to check as its a new helmet is to make sure you have removed the protective film from the lens, ask me how I know.

Edit: Great minds @Wightsparks

8ob, Ashley Burton, PavePogue and 2 others like this.
  10. PavePogue

PavePogue New Member

I’ve been welding since I was 14-years old. Now, I’m 42. I wear glasses. I use cheater lenses, but I was finding it hard to see. I was still working fine, based on wrote-memory and feel, but I was struggling. So, I did this. I increased my ambient, background light 10-fold, and it has made a world of difference. I felt silly, because I should have known to do that. I don’t know... pride I guess. Now, I’m comfortable and welding happy again. Yep, increase the light.

Barlidge and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know.

12. cbfb Member

I wear glasses under my helmet too.

As others have said, good lighting is important. I have a little clip-on spotlight.

One thought, are you getting your head right up close to the job? On smaller stuff I like to get within a few inches. Also before you start the weld move your head / torch / hands around to see what offers the best view.

13. Seano

Seano Member

I find that because it's not always easy to increase ambient light on the work piece does anyone have any suggestion on the little clip on lights for lids ?

14. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

There was a thread a while back about putting LED`s into the helmet face itself.

15. Seano

Seano Member

Yeah, I've been looking for it.

16. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

17. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

If someone can recommend the correct LED`s to get I would be grateful, there are so many variations on the WWW, all help appreciated

18. Seano

Seano Member

I've bought one off ebay that has eleven led's in it and runs from two cr2032 batteries, it's nicely curved to sit on top of a bucket, I intend to use velcro for attachment, I will give you the link to it :thumbup:

19. Seano

Seano Member

20. eddie49 Member

Personally I really dislike multi-LED lights in torches or head-torches. Same applies to "COB" LEDs - but those are OK for area lighting.
    I think you get a brighter, clearer, more focussed light from a single source emitter, such as a 300 Lumen Cree T6.

fizzy likes this.
Advertisements