Can’t see what I’m welding

1. GreenBlood New Member

I have a mates welder and good brand name visor, but once the arc is struck, I can see where the welds heading. Any tips?

2. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

Plenty of light ,
    And as a veteran on here once told me if you can't see you can't weld

3. merryman Member

I have been welding "blind" for years. Lots of people on here recommend either "cheater" lenzes on the mask, or magnifying spectacles. I couldn't see (pardon the pun) how that could work, as making it bigger isn't going to lighten my darkness, right? Wrong. I found a pair of Bi-focals in a drawer, must have belonged to my long dead father, tried 'em on, (as you do), and the bottom bit magnified things, so I thought, why not try them for welding, the difference was remarkable. You still need plenty of light, but it does work.

rikrobson and stuvy like this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Do a forum search, this has been covered before and lots of helpful ideas emerged. :thumbup:

5. Kent

Kent Member

Genrally i find people aint changing the protective screen over the welding filter. Or they need glasses.

If you can't see it you can't weld it!

indy4x likes this.
  6. catman275 Member

As an old "newbie" myself. Make sure you have removed BOTH sides of the lens protective plastic.
    I only removed one side and it was a long time before I found the othere sides plastic.
    It made a world of difference.

7. Justme

Justme Member

Are you using gas or gas less wire?

8. 123hotchef Member

can u alter the shade of the lid?

9. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I have varifocals, but need a 2.0 cheater lens to help with welding. I've now two helments. one with and one without the cheater for working slightly further away and with the plasma cutter. TIG definitely need the cheater lenses

10. earthman Member

I've always had the same problem, just can't really make out exactly where the mig wire/weld is going,......even when I think/see it's going straight bang on a line or into a corner for example, once I let go of the trigger and the intense light goes, the weld is actually in a slightly place.:confused:

Next time I'm going to try clamping a straight edge to the workpiece to run the shroud of the torch along.:D

123hotchef likes this.
  11. premmington

premmington Member

I don't have a problem with A18 MIG wire or mild steel TIG.

It is TIG in alloy I can't see...

MMA welding I am OK with stainless 312 - mild 7018's and pipe rods.

But 6013's I can't see anything for all the flux running everywhere.

For welding masks I have been using an old Optrel E680 and a newish Speedglass 9100. The Speedglas lid has a cheater lens in it. The Optrel one I can't find one to fit it for sensible money.

12. smashweld Member

reading glasses made the biggest difference for me, also using the right shade/setting on the helmet

light shining in the back of the helmet, reflecting off the inside glass makes it hard to see sometimes....like from a skylight, or if welding outside

getting in a position that allows you to see well and is comfortable helps too

13. Same for me. I did a fillet brazing course a couple of years ago and had similar problems. The tutor took me to Lloyds chemist in the town, got me to select a pair of cheapo reading glasses, back to the class and bingo! Made a world of difference. So now when I (er) weld, I have a couple of pairs of reading glasses to hand.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements