Can this be done?

1. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

I haven't used a press-brake in years, so I'm no longer sure of their capabilities. I had an idea that involves folding some 6 mm plate into an odd-leg channel around 6" in length. To save time and money, these could be formed in 900 mm lengths and I could then cut them to size. Here's a plan of what I intend.

odd leg channel.jpg
    Could this be done on a standard press-brake? No problem if not because I can always weld the individual pieces of flat together although that would obviously take longer.

2. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

A standard press brake yes. Depends what tooling you have.
    I don't think you'll get it with euro tooling - goose neck top tool will be needed - fairly heavy tooling to deal with 6mm. You also need quite a bit of 'daylight' to get deep goose neck top tooling in
    Standard tool length is 835mm so if you can reduce the length a bit you'll get away with buying one length.

mtt.tr and tom2207 like this.
  3. tom2207 Member

yep too tight for standard , at that thickness , and of course the bends wont be that sharp so you will need to know which dimensions are important ,,,

Welderpaul likes this.
  4. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    You'd get a pretty chunky eurospec tool to do that, but not the sort of thing that many places have kicking around.
    Most smaller (the more commonly found) gooseneck tooling would probably have it crashing into the back of the tool holders.

Theres ways around it, like bending a crease between the 2 folds, doing the other 2 folds then flattening back down, easier to do on smaller lengths and a bit of a mess about though, and you'd have tooling marks.

5. Feet 'n Inches

Thanks. That's what I thought from the hazy memories I have. Quite possibly the cost of folding would be greater than the value of the finished item so plan B will be put into effect - I'll stitch-weld them open-corner.

@tom2207 - neither the sharpness of the bends nor the dimensions are that crucial as they would only be supporting a small board that's clamped into place.

6. Ruffian Member

I know it's a cheat but can you not get box section in a size and cut it too suit?

Might make it easier than trying to bend it.

7. Feet 'n Inches

I've abandoned the folding idea given the info posted, but box section is a definite possibility, particularly if prices for box and flat are comparable.It's then a case of considering whether cutting the box to size or just cutting the flat to the desired size is the easier. Given that I'd be cutting the box along its length with an angle grinder, I think flat may still be the better option. Thanks for the idea, though.

8. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I think the drawing is a bit misleading, as it doesn't actually appear to be to scale. The '60' looks half the length of the '80', so it is not that radical a job in effect.

pressbrake1 likes this.
  9. Feet 'n Inches

The drawing was done quickly and not to scale just to give a rough idea of the problem. The actual project is a spot board clamp for my brickie neighbour. A short length of stud will clamp the board in place and the unit can then be clamped to a scaffold tube via a suitable clamp. He's then got the luxury of easy access to the mortar.

10. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    It’s hard to gauge without trying a bit of tooling.
    If they were shot lengths a open bar tool would do it.
    A rolling bottom tool would but I don’t know anybody with one of those.

A big power box pan would do it

11. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Actually it’s not that bad to do when you actually read the dims and realise it’s not that awkward channel!

Morrisman likes this.
  12. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
  13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    Bending 6mm is non trivial, probably need to get it red hot to make it doable. Plus if you sort of chip away at the bending angle, it might fracture on the outside of the bend. Depends on the quality/grade of steel.

4mm much easier imho but even my flypress baulks at the idea of bending 6mm at that length.

As has been observed, a press brake that will bend 6mm is going to be fairly chunky too. Both in size and cost!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. Agroshield Member

Could you do a fag packet sketch of the whole assembly? I wonder if the bottom of the channel could be U-shaped instead of square, you could bend 150 x 6 on a big fly press (like a welding bend tester). Are you aware of the scaffold fittings known as 'band and plate' or 'band and clip'? They might provide a starting point to which you could weld something. Or take an SK (gravlock) and extend the leg of it.

15. tom2207 Member

Scaff.png

16. tom2207 Member

just make it in two parts , leave the join so you can stitch it from the top , and stitch it off the corner at the bottom , would that do , then its easy
    if thats an option of course

17. nickk Forum Supporter

If your trying one out of box section,it will distort as you remove sides ,you release tension.personally I would either forge it around a former,or fabricate it.

WorkshopChris likes this.
  18. fizzy Member

uk
    I don't suppose a bit of distortion would hurt.
    I would cut it into the shorter pieces and cut it - a vertical band saw would be ideal. My Startrite excels at that kid of thing.

19. Feet 'n Inches

This pic will give you a rough idea. Hopefully my version won't look quite as crude.

spot board clamp.jpg

fizzy likes this.
  20. fizzy Member

uk
    Buy a piece of unequal angle and weld it to some flat?

Advertisements