Can someone make a shaft for me?

1. h-dom New Member

Hi guys, can someone make me a drive shaft for my belt grinder? Whatever material is suitable and available is fine. It will have a 24mm bore drive wheel one end and a 28mm step pulley the other end supported by pillow blocks 25mm bore.

upload_2020-9-16_13-59-48.jpeg

If no one wants to make it does anyone know where I could buy one? I have been searching but struggling to find anything.

2. Agroshield Member

If you can dimension exactly where the pillow block bearings touch the shaft, you will save money as it is only in these two places that the 25mm dia. is critical. The rest of the 275mm length can be slightly smaller and dog rough.

mtt.tr, pressbrake1 and Rannsachair like this.
  3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

4. h-dom New Member

Fair point, irrelevant where they are so long as they are a decent distance apart

5. h-dom New Member

Can anyone help? If it helps I have a shaft out of a chinese motor that burnt out which could be made to work, just needs a bit of turning downto the right dia

6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I can do the turning but can’t do the keyway.

zx9 likes this.
  7. h-dom New Member

The shaft I have from the motor has the keyway in already for the drive wheel, it’s a rough thing with a few grinder knicks in it but it doesn’t need to look good and it is shorter than what I wanted but anything will do to get it up and running

I’m happy to send to you Brad if you can give me an idea of cost for the job or if someone is closer in Lincolnshire I can bring it round?

8. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

I've (before I had the mill) done keyways by turning a parting blade on its side, winding the carriage back and forth with a few thou" advance each time - does the job but can get a bit boring... Drill a hole at each closed end for the blade to drop into, can even look Professional ;)

Dave H. (the other one)

9. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Long n bendy
    Travelling steady job unless you tickle it to death
    I’m with Agrosheild and amend your step pulley or go to 30 pillow blocks and turn down ends

mtt.tr likes this.
  10. ukracer Forum Supporter

I would be happy to do it but I don't have a travelling steady (or fixed steady for that matter.

11. h-dom New Member

upload_2020-9-18_11-46-41.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-18_11-46-58.jpeg

This is what I have now and in my drawing is what would work, the narrow end has a flat on it but the flat is 1.7mm so 19.9mm could be turned down to 16mm round I believe and extended to 100mm to seat a step pulley 16mm bore.
    The drive wheel end with keyway can stay the same but if the rest could be turned down to 25mm that would be easiest I would have thought? This shaft is just over 300mm length so may be less bendy?

Advertisements