Cable strain relief grommet needed

1. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    I thought I should give these old soldering irons a birthday (especially as I just used the one which doesn’t have the lead cut off to repair a tap spout which would have cost me £70 to replace!). They were inherited from my dad. I was thinking new rubber cables, but the strain relief grommets are well perished. I was thinking it would be simple enough to find replacement grommets but I've just spent 30 minutes or so and I can't find anything suitable. I guess the originals are intended for a 1/2 inch hole but 12mm would be fine. I've tried Ebay, Farnell, RS and general searching on the web. Thegrommetcompany have the perfect thing but only in packs of 50 - what am I going to do with the other 48??

2020-11-20 17.02.01.jpg

Any ideas where to look or how to improvise a substitute? I guess I could turn up some kind of adapter from derlin to use a slightly smaller grommet but it needs to be big enough to take the 3 core rubber insulated cable.

James1979 likes this.
  2. ukracer Forum Supporter

3D printing would be perfect but you need a designer. I cant design but I can print..lol

3. hotponyshoes Member

Can you adapt a skin top fitting to mount in there somehow?

4. JEZGUZ

JEZGUZ Member

West Midlands UK
    You could send a couple of grommets my way, I've got an identical iron (the big one) with exactly the same problem.

5. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Great - just need another 47 volunteers!!

James1979 likes this.
  6. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Not sure I follow your thinking - 'skin top'??

7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I've a couple of 65W Solons, so I'd take a couple :D

8. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

9. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    It might be worth trying an appliance repair shop. I recall seeing strain relief grommets similar to that on old clothes irons. The Morphy Richards Senior model springs to mind.

10. hotponyshoes Member

Cable gland
    This sort of thing
    download.jpeg-2.jpg

I have got some that might be around 12mm thread.
    Glue the threaded bit in the **** end of it.
    You might be able to tap out the hole where the grommet went but I think they are wooden handles or bakelite or something else that's probably not going to tap very well.

11. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    HV2107 might just do it - when I look back at the Farnell site they say mounting hole 10mm (which is why I dismissed it) but the data sheet you linked says 11.5mm, which is probably close enough.

Thank You.

12. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

If you cant find the grom PM me your add & I will send you a couple of ones I used on my fathers Remploy iron the tail is short about 25mm 350Th hole, so I extended grom with heat shrink///////had been ok for 2 years DSCF0001.JPG Can spare 1 or 2 :D

13. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Thanks all, for the suggestions and offers - I will give the Hellerman HV2107 a try and see how that goes.

14. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

A chunky flex is going to expand it a tad.

Bob

15. hotponyshoes Member

You can always build the flex up with heat shrink to stretch the grommet out a bit

16. Agroshield Member

Dcal likes this.
  17. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Good idea - you reminded me that I have an old Makita drill in the attic (kept for spares since it was replaced with the same model) - I dug it out but unfortunately the grommet is way too big. I think the difference is that the drill has a separate cable clamp and then a 'loose' strain relief grommet just to ease the flexing of the cable where it comes out of the tool. In the case of my ancient soldering irons the grommet also serves as the cable clamp.

18. Agroshield Member

Glue the cable into the grommet with contact adhesive. If there is room, use a tight cable tie where the cable exits the grommet inside the iron. Make a wall knot with the three cores before connecting to the terminals.

19. cr500dom Member

Norfolk
    sugru is what you need
    form your own cable strain relief

20. GrahamGKD

Bournemouth UK
    Well, I asked thegrommetcompany for a few samples - didn't really expect anything but they turned up this afternoon so both of my irons now have new plugs and leads fitted - lovely job.

Thanks for all the suggestions - that sugru looks interesting.

ukracer and Seadog like this.
Advertisements