Buying second hand compressor se16c150

1. Asdama Member

Hi bought a second hand compressor when i picked it up there wasnt any oil in the compressor i think its leaking down from the inspection glass as i could see a little run of oil under the glass and also when i drained the tank of air underneath there was a bit of water and i think bit of oil mixed in it, its not black stuff just clear. It ran good and sounded ok. So my question is is it normal to have oil and bit of water in the tank and also is the oil inspection glass easy to replace? I bought it as it was cheap £80 fir 150l tank and 3 hp pump.

2. MoreWellie Member

Think you need to start with cleaning it up, put sufficient oil in the compressor and try it

on the compressors I have had the sight glass unscrews and there is a washer which you could replace if it is leaking there

some oil will leak through to the tank but if it happens rapidly then you probably have a problem with your pump which would most likely be rings

water always develops in compressor tanks due to the heating of the air during compression which is why you have a drain tap on the bottom to get rid of it every now and again. This is also why people install water filters on their airlines if they are paint spraying or blasting to reduce the amount that gets through

usually it forms an grey/brown emulsion in the tank much the same as you can get in car engines when the water and oil mix

3. carbon

carbon Member

The oil usually only needs to be half way up the sight glass

4. julianf

julianf Member

Whenever I drain my compressor the water is oily.

I'm kind of glad that it is, as I figure it must stop the inside of the tank rusting quite as quickly...

slim_boy_fat and brightspark like this.
  5. brightspark

brightspark Member

not a problem a bit of milky oil in the tank as long as your not topping the oil up all the time on the comp :)

6. Asdama Member

Thats good to know its normal to have oily water. I will look to replace the rubber washer in the inspec glass but if it still leaks do i just replace the whole inspection glass? anyone know if i could use a generic one of ebay or does it need to be clarke (machine mart)? Thanks also how long should it take to fill the tank up with air from it being completely drained? Anyone ever timed it?

7. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

4 to 8 minutes, depending on whether it's a rapid-fill DIY or a low-geared industrial one. Guess which lasts longer?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements