Buying a workbench

1. badabec Forum Supporter

Hello, my older son, 36, has just moved and now has room for a workbench in his garage. He is in Wales, I'm in Essex, so not really feasible for me to take my welding gear etc down there to build one.

Has anyone any recommendations for an 'off the peg' workbench? I've already provided the vice, an old Record (not the new, made of cheese type).

He won't be welding or doing anything fancy, but he needs more than a Workmate.

As always, the bank of Dad is paying for it, so realistically looking at around £150. Machine Mart do them for about £75, but they look a bit flimsy.

Any suggestions?

2. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

Where in Wales is he ?
    Perhaps there is someone on the forum here near by who might chime in to help sort it out ?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

Send a delivery of wood some nails a saw and a hammer :)

I like wood for benches. Absorbs the impacts well. Stick some plate over it for welding.

Maker, dobbslc, johnik and 4 others like this.
  4. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    Depending on size - maybe build one which is part welded and part bolt together (for transportation)??

5. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Once more into the breach...

Ask Dunk Lamont at 7050ps if he could do you a custom (he does them all the time, have a look at his website) folding workbench; something like his standard folding one but without the laser cut slots - should bring the price down. Or maybe just the three holes you'd need for bolting on the Record Vice you said you've provided? (I'm assuming its an engineers vice rather than a woodworking bench vice.)

https://www.7050ps.com/welding-bench-600x580x6---laser-cut---inc-pp-701-p.asp

I've got the 800 x 600 and it is very stable and robust, also folds up narrower than the Workmate I just leave outside, and is reassuringly heavy with a 6mm steel top.

6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Yeah timber built one would be my choice!

johnik likes this.
  7. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    What's he plan on doing with this bench and vice... surely anyone who requires such things would have the basic skills to build their own?!

8. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

And if he doesn't, what a great way to learn! :)

9. Other Daniel

Other Daniel Member

Would second that.
    Intended usage would determine what material(s), it's made from.
    As a general purpose goto bench I agree that wood is the material of choice.

ATB,
    Daniel

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  10. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Wood and screws, once you know the size of his space. Top is two layers of 18mm OSB, and 1 layer 18mm plywood.

• E4F9B744-878E-4F6D-B17B-5D3F296A4D47.jpeg
    eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  11. Matchless

Matchless Member

or a solid wood fire door cut down, not the old type with asbestos inside! or a bit of kitchen worktop, he needs to go skip diving,

12. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

I've just spent the last couple of hours joining two 2m lengths of 220*75 with loose tenon in mortices to make a workbench for No1 son.
    The faintly amusing aspect is that the wood is offcuts from the reroofing work he did on his house in Cambridge. Too good to throw away says I and sawed them down to length to fit in my car and lugged them home.

Where they sat for two years.

Back to Cambridge next weekend.

Children - don't you love 'em. even when they are 35!

13. tom2207 Member

I blame the parents

who do you blame ,,, lol

you will enjoy the time and the project im sure , some days its nice to be the '' old hand''

14. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@rtcosic I'm glad I don't rely on my parents

I personally prefer to get stuck in & learn how to do the job myself

15. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

I hate to say it but hes 36 , let him get on with it I am sure he can manage to make a bench

Westfield-builder likes this.
  16. badabec Forum Supporter

Hello, thanks for all the suggestions. My son is able, but just needs a push to get him started. I may well end up down there, acting as 'the boy', while he gets on with it.

17. Onoff Member

Maybe this stuff skips generations?

My old man was big on pubs and working men's clubs so most of our "DIY" was done by dubious drinking buddies of his.

Consequently if I wanted a kennel for the dog I had to build it, ditto a desk for schoolwork or spot lights in my bedroom. I had a reasonable grounding from "woodwork" classes at school.

My 21 year old now, studying computer science at uni. Knows his way round hand tools reasonably well. Never used a grinder or chopsaw mind. I've made him have a go at welding. Yesterday we sat on the patio with me directing him building a control panel for the electric gates. Really just panel wiring and crimping but gives him an idea.

Wish I'd done more with him as a little'un!

RWD3M, arther dailey and Arc Tourist like this.
  18. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

I wonder if you're right here. My grandfather was a proper 'shed guy' and I used to spend a lot of time with him in hes shed. My father really wasn't and neither are either of my two boys. My 6 month old grandaughter however already knows what the handle on the pillar drill is for! :)

*I'll try and get a pic.

19. Onoff Member

They do say you spend more time with your grandchildren than your children! Maybe if I have any I'll get around to finishing the (what started as) a Toylander.

It's "our" fault creating this generation that "can't" I suppose. Spending those early years working too bloody long and hard & ignoring what really mattered!

RWD3M and Other Daniel like this.
  20. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

I only have a daughter, just turned 19, but she has no interest in welding or spannering, or woodwork, or building cars and bikes, so my skill set is going to die with me. :(

I’m no master craftsmen, but if there were a major disaster, and survivors camps were only allowing people with useful skills in, then I’m sure there would be a slot for me. :D

Arc Tourist and Other Daniel like this.
Advertisements