Butter 181 mig nicked what should I replace it with?

1. johnyev Member

As I put in the title some so-and-so ran off with my rather simple, but very solid second hand Butter 181 mig (and bottle and an air compressor)
    I like the fact the way it was made reminded me of an Aga, simple and solid.
    I’m just a hobby welder and due to a lack of any Redland tiles being available till January, my garage won’t be finished till then. So I’m in no rush.
    I am lucky as I have one local supplier that sells Telwin and another slightly closer that sells Jasic, Eurostar and Ebas (excuse the spelling).
    I recognise if I want to be able to get it mended and get spare parts and consumables then I would do well to support my local supplier.
    If I’m honest I’d buy another Butter tomorrow, but their latest one starts at £1200 quid which is above my budget,
    £500 is more my arena.
    I’ve just noticed on here that GSY are repaired in Rugby which isn’t far, I haven’t heard of these before.

I will be installing a 32amp circuit, breaker and socket although I’m not sure it will ever be needed.
    I would be happy to buy secondhand again.
    Thanks for any input.
    J

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

not so sure about telwin

go with what you think is best

but yeah agree with you its not easy getting tools to replace after a tealeafs been there

get some security up is my opinion and go for scare them so they dont come back again

3. eddie49 Member

4. johnyev Member

Aga the cooker, big and solid and simple. I didn’t know they made welders!
    As you say 90 amps limits it’s range.

5. johnyev Member

It was a while ago and the new garage with be more secure, hopefully. Obviously you can never stop a determined thief.

6. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    Weld Equip ( site advertizer on the forum ) sold me a GSY 2000 plus , it's a multi purpose synergetic welder , MMA TIG & MIG can be programmed up or set it to synergy mode and turn to the thickness & metal being welded & the machine does the rest . ( I like mine but I'm a doddery old hobbyist welder not some one who earns a living from using one )

johnyev and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

GYS ? Parweld might be in your bracket.

johnyev likes this.
  8. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

if you were happy with the butters ,I had a 271(excellent) geta tec arc or portamig if its sat in the work shop, would recomend theupgrade to two roll drive and say 230/270 amp with3o amp bottom setting , great tools that just work .look for second hand .parts if ever needed always available , if going inverter kemmpi mini arc mig 180 second hand .

johnyev likes this.
  9. johnyev Member

I’ve just looked at the Portamig, British built and look similar to my Butters. (don’t think it had large capacitors though)
    Maybe I’ll save up a bit more.
    It’s going to sit in my garage, I already have a little inverter arc welder, if simple portability is needed.

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

arther dailey likes this.
  10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

I'm going to suggest the autostar 160...it's the same as the Jasic but a lot cheaper....warranty is 3 years but reckon it's a good warranty (autostar are supplied by UK Jasic partner)

I don't own one myself but seems to get good reviews.

I own a Kemppi but that's out of budget....Kemppi is a really nice machine.

arther dailey likes this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Member

12. duncans

duncans Member

yeah mate a good place to look for a welder is Facebook I've seen a few decent MIG welders on there mate its worth a try Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 19.30.08.png a quick look and I took a snapshot so you can see if i was looking for one id deff contact the advertiser remember cash is king so you deff can grab a bargain

johnyev likes this.
  13. ChrisBailey

ChrisBailey Member

If you go for a tec arc compact mig (same as the portamig), I can recomend Rotec as thats where I got mine.
    Rotec are generally cheaper than migticarc and Arc-rite. A 3m eurotorch is included for the price.
    You do have to wait a few weeks for the machines though since they are made to order.

johnyev likes this.
  14. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

@johnyev there is a tec arc 211 posted for sale on ebay at the moment , you could make an offer and get pallet delivery probably but sort of thing that would probably suit you.

15. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I'd be looking for a second hand Kempii/BOC 200c, the quality is far above anything else mentioned so far :) I've seen a couple for sale recently on FB etc.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  16. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    If you're after a mig only machine, then I'd look Oxford as another excellent option. The 180 is £600, and if you give @Tom Orrow L a shout he'll give you the low down as well as supply it :thumbup:

Tom Orrow L likes this.
  17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Kemppi Evo 200 is a lovely machine...I've used mine for mild, braze and stainless so far with excellent results from the auto setup.

Second hand might be in budget but they rarely come up for sale.

18. ChrisBailey

ChrisBailey Member

The tec arc 211 on ebay at the minute looks nice. Easily £650 worth of gear there.
    Pretty sure the transformers are guaranteed for 5 years.

Worth a cheeky bid.

19. duncans

duncans Member

I've seen one on facebook it was £700.00 second hand

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

Yea when I've seen them they've been £600+...they are excellent machines which probably explains why they don't come up very often.

With the auto setup you just select wire type and material thickness and it's close to spot on...saves a lot of faffing about...I switch wire a lot and just takes 5 minutes to get setup and doing descent welds. Best of all there is no setting to remember!

Still got to remember to turn the gas on and put the earth on :doh:

Advertisements