Business Bank Accounts

1. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

No votes for HSBC then!

brightspark and Brad93 like this.
  2. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

I have used HSBC for last 10 years or so. Website was half upgraded (as in half the screen) about 18 months ago and is absolutely abysmal. But they do have a handy "CHAT NOW" banner ..- that hovers over your transactions so you cant read them. That about sums up their attitude really. Can't be ar.. er bothered. My super helpful local manager disappeared but fortunately I don't need anything doing or changing so I live with it.

Brad93 likes this.
  3. knighty Member

I don't really like the CoOp bank online banking... but I think all online banking is pretty terrible, not very user friendly/intuitive etc.

but... I've called them to do a transfer before, and it's always a call center in England, which is a bonus for me - I don't really care who/where answers the phone as long as we can understand each other, English call center really helps there!

Brad93 likes this.
  4. decca

decca Forum Supporter

Santander are great. Cheapest i have found and you can pay in at the post office. Online is spot on too.

Beanwood and Brad93 like this.
  5. Beanwood Forum Supporter

bristol, England
    I agree with Decca.
    I've banked with Barclays for 40 years on personal stuff, and they aren't what they used to be.
    First Direct for 20 years as well - again personal banking and they're OK - but nothing special.
    On starting back in business 2 years ago I thought about going back to Barclays (Business account there for 12 years "last time" I had a company - but decided to try Santander.
    I'm pleased I did - after the initial setting up of online stuff, it's been faultless.

6. Mattuk Member

Natwest for me.
    Mostly because the local branch used for personal account was 5 minute walk from my house.
    That drive through branch has now shut and is going to become a funeral directors, however everything already set up so all done with the online interface.

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I bank with Barclays probably for no other reason initially than it was who my parent used.

I've had the odd issue over the years but they've also been pretty good. It did seem to me they were better once I had a good flow of money coming through my account. I don't have a business account though.

From a personal account point of view their app is very good and I believe it's won some awards. I've only just started using it and I'm very impressed.

I also have my mortgage with them and when I took out the mortgage 16 yrs a go they were happy to take overtime/standby into account as they could see the regular payments which meant I was able to borrow way more than the usual 3-4 times your salary.

I must admit I am gob smacked how much business accounts costs to run.

8. merryman Member

My business account is with Natwest, mainly because I have always banked with them, never used their on-line services, as the less you use on-line, the less chance of getting stung by fraudsters, and I started using Pay-pal at about the same time as I set up the business, so almost all on-line stuff goes through that. Now I am considering closing the Nat west account, as very few people pay me by cheque now, and I don't pay many suppliers by cheque either. Never "took advantage" of the NatWest business card as that was going to cost extra, and they seem quite happy for me to use my personal card for the odd business transaction.

9. Kent

Kent Member

Can I just mention why not have a second private account rather than pay any fees ?
    Unless it's a limited company this is totally fine with tax etc. Banks don't like it but like you should care
    Sole trader and its all your responsibility anyway. Just call one number 2 account (I did this for about twenty years, in fact I also had a number 2 reserve account also )

Different if your Ltd though

10. Kent

Kent Member

BTW the bank might tell you that you can't legally - they are wrong and misrepresenting which gets sort of serious if you make an official complaint to the onbudsman

11. Migmac

Migmac Member

As Kent says, use a current account. It’s exactly what I did when I ran my small business. Charges for a business account then were something like £30 per month. Wasn’t paying that.

Kent likes this.
  12. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Nat West for me.... been ok

Advertisements