Burn through, where am I going wrong?

1. Carroll Shelby

Carroll Shelby New Member

Good evening,

Sorry if this has been asked a million times and your probably sick of answering the question.

I have been playing with practice welds on 1.5cm scrap metal and got some nice beads going, so I thought I would have a go at welding 2 pieces together, I folded some .8mm steels and made some ends (folded around) when I come to weld the 2 together I did a tack weld which went OK but then all down hill from there, firstly when trying to move the puddle it just burnt through.

Now I had a play with the settings and have power down to a minimum, tack weld are good but I'm still burning through on beads, I upped the wire speed till I felt it push the burner back the eased it off a little, some beads worked other burnt through or the wire jammed.

So my questions are am I holding the burner too close, is the gas setting to low (I don't have a gauge on the gas) or is my angle wrong.

I am using .8mm copper coated wire in a maypole 100/1 mig, I have noticed the gas that came with it is argon.

Any help much appreciated

2. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

To weld mild steel with mag/mig welding you use Co2/Argon mixed gas, Argon is used for Aluminium mig welding.

Plus 0.6mm wire will help.
    Torch travel speed also makes a difference, I would advise you to read the tutorial for mig welding, link on the home page above.

Also some pictures of your welding would help

3. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

:waving:welcome to the forum carroll you will get great help and advice on here

4. Carroll Shelby

Thank you for the welcome, I will post some pictures up when I figure out how lol I'll get some co2/argon and .6 wire this week.

Many thanks

5. Carroll Shelby

Here's a couple of pictures of my little play, I have ground down the weld to see how bad it was, not sure what happened to the first pictured.

• 1518458623048442476263.jpg
    • 15184586626141363838055.jpg
    • 1518458686877271579069.jpg
  6. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Your gas is causing most of your problems. I’m not going to repeat what’s already said but 100% inert shielded mag (which is essentially Mig) doesn’t offer the same wetting ability as a partial active shield would. And while you get reduced pen and fusion with just argon, without the wetting you are more likely to go straight through it. Now technique will be playing a part too and stepping down on wire diameter I think will make things worse. Smaller wires penetrate deeper. They dig deeper and although you can apply less current to them and be in there working zone a 0.8 mm wire is in that zone you need for that gage.
    0.8mm steel is thin and without backing a butt joint on this requires a little technique. This is in the forum tutorials so I’m not going to go through it. Have a look Here.
    https://www.google.se/url?sa=t&sour...in-metal.htm&usg=AOvVaw2GIIPhgR9xm6geR0_Yqnmn

7. Carroll Shelby

Many thanks for your help guys its much appreciated, I bought the welder 2nd hand and the gas came with it, I'll get some argon/co2 gas, the maypole welder I got has a high/low setting and a 1/2 setting, I assume a 1 /low is the minimum current and high/2 is maximum, I will get the correct gas and play around with the setting.

The shroud doesn't look the best either so I'll get some new ones.

I was reading through the tutorial at silly am this morning lol

8. Carroll Shelby

Sorry my mistake its min/max switch not high/low D'oh

9. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

The min max 1-2 is voltage settings.
    You match your wire speed to suit and the current generated is what it is.

10. Carroll Shelby

Right now I managed to find a place near me that has gas (I know there are more places but I can't be arsed driving miles) anyhow they only had CO2 and after reading about shielding gas on here thought sod it that'll do, what a difference, I only had a ten minute play but my god it makes it easier to weld with.

So up to now I have put new CO2 gas, new tips, new shroud and new wire on this welder the only thing I haven't changed it the liner (if that's its correct name) so hopefully tomorrow i can have a play with the settings and get some nice welds done.

11. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Don't get bogged down trying to run beads on thin metal, if it's really thin just join up loads of spots.

12. Carroll Shelby

I have read that somewhere, do little spots with a few seconds in between each one, think the steel I have is .8 thick, would doing spots avoid heat distortion of he metal?.

13. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
Advertisements