building a sportscar from scratch

1. pepijnvdk Member

chile
    Hi I am planning to build a 2 seater coupe from scratch, mainly from Aluminium.

I am just starting, as a designer and car lover the design part was not the biggest problem (I actually have it "build" in 3D in the computer, but now the hard part, actually building it

The body I will probably build completely from fiberglass

I just bought a 90amp mig welder but have no experience

I want to start with the space frame chassis, any tips on how to start (which part first to avoid twisted parts...)???

Some questions
    What will be the best approach?

-tubular or square tubes?
    -tube thickness?
    -what to use as a base so the construction will actually get out straight and strong?

anybody has experience building cars / frames???

2. pepijnvdk Member

chile
    a forgot, I am buying a subaru or kia POP, for parts, a small light car and small motor. The goal is to build it as light as posible but still make it fast and beautifull (like the porsche 550)

3. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Hi, I'm really sorry to delete your posts by accident! I was trying to move them to the same place but must have pressed the wrong button. I've lost the pictures but the posts are back.

If you have no welding experience then aluminium is not a good material to use for the chassis. It takes a lot of practice to weld, and even then aluminium welding with a MIG welder is very difficult for anything less than about 5mm thick.

Use steel for the frame. You will be limited to a maximum of 2mm wall thickness with the 90 amp welder. It won't be able to weld anything thicker. You will need to do some calculations to make sure you end up with the a rigid enough frame, but it should be possible with 2mm wall thickness and maybe 50mm diameter tube.

If you mark the positions for the chassis parts on a piece of wood or the garage floor then that will help to weld parts in the correct position. Check for twisting before and after every weld by measuring the height of each side using some sort of level gauge.

If I were to build a chassis I would use round tube. It takes a little more work preparing the joints, but tends to be stronger.

4. pepijnvdk Member

chile
    thanks

thanks for the tips,

just bought the book building a sportscar for less than 250, has also a lot of info on welding and how to make the chassis. Do you know any more books that would help?

5. Silas (son of Silas)

Silas (son of Silas) In need of restoration.

West Midlands
    You can join THIS site. I'm Silas on there too.

Ron's book is the bible for 'locosts' but there are some alternatives. Notably Haynes has a replacement out next year based on Ford Sierra bits, but its not written by Ron.

Everything you need is on the locost builders forum

6. migmag

migmag Member

North east
    See if you can get your hands on construction rule books for compatition motor sports.

Will have some good info on structural and space frame.

I think you may struggle to build a car frame with a ninty amp set I would of said 150 or 130 at the very minimum.

7. lexi Member

paisley

I have built a Seven type frame from the book design. Why dont you build that? A lot of guys have built that chassis with a 90 amp welder....not my choice but it can do the job. Be prepared as it is a very involving job to build a whole car from start to finish.Many projects do not get finished and it is not a cheap car as the book implies. If you are prepared for all that though it is fun to build and fun to drive.
    Alex

8. Silas (son of Silas)

Silas (son of Silas) In need of restoration.

West Midlands
    I'm impressed. Many hidden talents...

9. lexi Member

paisley

Well hidden Silas........almost invisible!

Alex

Advertisements