Broomwade compressor ID - take a shot

1. gkevinroper New Member

I am writing from Texas in the US.

I acquired an interesting 2hp/10amp/1425rpm/220/single phase Crompton Parkinson Doncaster motor recently. The motor came matched to an air compressor pump and both were mounted on a Broomwade compressor plate.

I am attaching pics of the pump in case you can identify it ā€“ its identity has stumped several very active online forums that are very good at identifying vintage tools. It looks very much like some BroomWade AC25 pictures I am finding, but Iā€™m trying to get to a correct model # so I can research it.

Any information you can provide on either piece ā€“ particularly parts for restoration ā€“ would be most appreciated. I love vintage stuff and it seems to be a wonderful opportunity to keep a piece of history working.

Thanks, gentlemen...

Kevin

• pump1.jpg
    • pump3.jpg
    • pump2.jpg
    • pump4.jpg
    • motor tag.jpg
  2. gkevinroper New Member

it does look like an AC25, but the vertical fin count is off. Mine has 8 - the AC25s i've seen have 9.

3. eil Member

N Wales
    With that size motor it would be either an AC7 or AC10.

normspanners likes this.
  4. normspanners Member

northwales
    [​IMG] ac10

ac7- pd7
    [​IMG]
    I have an ac7 ac10 ac12 and ac25 and when I had my garage and workshop the best was ac41 I bought ac41 for a mate a few weeks ago and am going to fit it for him in next few weeks .:thumbup:

5. eil Member

N Wales
    The AC10 was run at 600 rpm using a 2hp motor, Bore 2 5/8" Stroke 2 1/2".
    Recommended oil Shell Corena H68. 2.0 uk pints (1.14litres).

Size of flywheel 11".

normspanners likes this.
  6. normspanners Member

northwales
    :clapping:North Wales old broom wade info centre !!;)

7. gkevinroper New Member

tag on pump says Shell Talpa 20 for the oil. so assuming an AC7 or AC10 that wants 600rpm and my motor does 1425, how was the former owner running that combination? what kind of cfm at what pressure should I expect? I also notice in both pics above a "crossover" hard line on top between the two cylinders. these arent 2 stage pumps, are they? the cylinders on mine are equal size.

thanks for the info so far. you guys know your broomwade...

BarrieJ likes this.
  8. gkevinroper New Member

i'm guessing the RPM difference is handled by the size of the pulleys - small on the engine and large on the pump.

normspanners likes this.
  9. normspanners Member

northwales
    No the hard line is the unloader pipes going to the inlet unloaders, helps with startup or you can run them on low amp supply, and once started the motor keeps running, and just unloads the pump, can help if trying to run off a genny, or using a gas engine.
    The speed is not set in stone they can run at different speeds (ish), depending on the motor used, I run mine with a gas engine at what ever speed I feel like -----or need at the time.
    I was going to set up my AC 25 to run off single phase that pump is a little large to run off 1PH but it will do it slowly, so to also save on noise, my idea was to start it unloaded, then bring the pump valves in after a time delay once up to speed .
    Also can then limit it to one cyl so to achieve a higher pressure, with a little ingenuity.

10. eil Member

N Wales
    Your motor would do 1424 rpm over here but you are on 60 Hz there I suspect, so would be 1725 rpm or thereabouts. is there a pulley on the motor already.
    You can run the pump between 500 rpm min and 950 rpm max.
    The AC10 would give you 6.6 cfm free air delivery at 100psi when running at 600 rpm.
    I would fit a 3hp motor on it makes it more useful.

normspanners likes this.
  11. gkevinroper New Member

Yes, there is a pulley on the motor. about 5-6" across I'd guess. Two belts just like the pulley on the pump. Motor has two capacitors.

12. Eric Walker New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. Eric Walker New Member

I've added some pictures of my Broom Wade PD7 if this helps.

Advertisements