Bridgeport disaster.

1. rory1

rory1 Member

I had a bad day last Friday, it's only today that i could bring myself to post some pictures! Bridgeport toppled over whilst loading up for a move.no one was injured because I was on my own in the fork truck !

Does anyone have a spare Bridgeport x axis screw and nuts gathering dust?

• IMG_5768.JPG
  2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Not so good :(
    Always best to suspend or lift under the ram (with suitable cushioning) rather than try and lift from the base, assuming of course that was what you did.

fizzy and rory1 like this.
  3. rory1

rory1 Member

I had the forks under the ram, I'm not 100% sure how it fell off..... but it did!

4. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Disheartening when things like that happen.

rory1 likes this.
  5. awemawson Forum Supporter

Bad luck

I lost a Bridgeport Interact from a friends flat bed trailer when moving here - he braked too hard and the pallet it was on collapsed the the whole caboosh ended on the road - it landed so as to squash the Heidenhain CNC controller. I never could face looking at it and it went straight to the scrap yard. Broke my heart as it was a very clean crisp machine and no insurance covered it :(

:sheep::sheep::sheep:

ronan, rory1 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    :(

rory1 likes this.
  7. rory1

rory1 Member

When I get five minutes I will take the table off and have a look at it, I'm hoping it's just the screw and the nut ........
    It was a little bit upsetting to say the least but in the bigger picture it's only nuts and bolts!

Awe mason - I had a pallet break under a smallish radidial arm drill on a trailer on the motorway a few years ago, i had strapped it down well, maybe too well- and cracked the pallet . Luckily the straps caught it. Since then I won't transport any machines on a pallet.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

We feel your pain. :( Have a few of these :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

MattF and rory1 like this.
  9. rory1

rory1 Member

You will all be pleased to know that it lives on!!

The end of the screw had been cut and modified to suit the feed unit, it had a small stub end pinned onto the end of the screw, it was this stub end that had bent. I machined a new stub end and replaced the nuts and she’s a runner!

• E7FB84C1-4B79-467A-B797-4ADCB84FBB4E.jpeg
    • 6E6E0071-2C25-45F0-983A-54731B946032.jpeg
    indy4x, Rannsachair, Parm and 18 others like this.
  10. M K Member

Happy days

rory1 likes this.
  11. fizzy Member

uk
    I always tell people - use a heavy duty blue pallet n good condition - then cover it with a sheet of thick ply screwed onto the pallet. Then bolt the mill down. You won't go far wrong then. Oh and use a 120x120 or 120x100 pallet NOT a 120x80 Euro pallet for stability.
    Yes overtightening straps is very common.

rory1 likes this.
  12. fizzy Member

uk
    You are very lucky.
    I have a Town Woodhouse 369 that went over on a pallet. They didn't bother to lower the knee or the head and it was attached thin nylon banding. Apparently the dealer who shipped it was experienced.........
    Anyway the table leadscrew damage is just like yours but the whole knee twisted and broke the shear castings bottom left and top right. It is a lovely machine so I will restore it one day - can't bear to scrap it.

rory1 likes this.
  13. fizzy Member

uk
    Steel on steel that is how. Slings next time?
    I am always petrified moving big machinery so I treble up on everything. Then again I tend to do overkill most of the time lol.

Brad93 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. bletchmonster

bletchmonster Member

On a similar load shifting note, I bought a big horizontal band saw at an auction in Coventry years back, loaded onto trailer on timber battens with a forklift, so I couldn't get em out. They shifted, straps went slack and I lost it over the side going around a roundabout in Lichfield. I was completely stuffed and expecting coppers any second and the borrowed lorry and trailer felt distinctly unroadworthy:doh:
    It had made such an almighty crash all the blokes came out of the pub adjoining the roundabout for a look.
    No messing about, they all grabbed hold of it and launched it back on the trailer, and promptly went back to their beer!
    I will think fondly of them fellas for the rest of my days!

indy4x, mrsbruce, fizzy and 9 others like this.
  15. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    I heard of a harrison size lathe someone put on a trailer with a narrow wheelbase, went round a roundabout & the whole lot suddenly flipped over smashing the lathe something awful. Dont think he had a pub full of blokes to pick it up though!

fizzy, rory1 and bletchmonster like this.
  16. fizzy Member

uk
    People never seem to understand centre of gravity. Just look at modern cruise liners. An iceberg is far better designed!

My trailer has a wide wheelbase outside the body. Bit like a chariot. Much more stable.

17. RWD3M

RWD3M Member

'People never seem to understand centre of gravity. Just look at modern cruise liners. An iceberg is far better designed!'

What a great analogy!

I do like that.

Advertisements