Brake drum refurbishing

1. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

2. CompoSimmonite Member

Lack of reasonable priced parts, when you can find them, was the reason I broke my Fox for parts as a full front suspension and brake overhaul was going to cost me nearly £700 - and this was around 10 years ago. People fit Mini wheel cylinders but whilst they might fit they aren't the correct items and the correct items are like hens teeth hence the price. If you fit Mini parts then review the master cylinder as that will then need to be changed to match the different bore sizes.

What about converting brake to discs all round ? Fronts are easy and rear require an adapter plate to hold a caliper but the trike crowd already have the parts needed machined.

3. Tim W Member

Swindon, UK
  4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Seems a common problem a fair few suggestions regarding both disc & drum mods on searching

5. I put the original drums back on in the end. They seem to adjust up so it will have to do. No comment from the MOT about performance. However the MOT did spot something I hadn't...

Lower suspension arm.

IMG_4244.JPG IMG_4247.JPG IMG_4248.JPG IMG_4249.JPG IMG_4250.JPG

6. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

just a little bit of welding to keep us lads happy :thumbup:

7. Already underway. I made three brackets wrongly, one after the other until I finally got my head together! Then the pea shooter gauge developed a leak so the weld went from perfect to mediocre in a few moments! Had to redo it.

The other side isn't quite as bad, but I think I am going to refurbish both while I have everything out. I ended up having to cut the other one out due to the through bolt bonding to the Metalastik bush's sleeve.

octo0072000 likes this.
  8. This is the other side, currently sitting on the paint rack to dry.

IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4084.JPG IMG_4085.JPG IMG_4086.JPG IMG_4095.JPG IMG_4096.JPG IMG_4097.JPG IMG_4098.JPG

9. Looks like I have ended up with two offside! The first one I have clearly welded upside down. Not the end of the world as I just need to make up a couple of stiffeners and tack them on to convert it.

IMG_4267.JPG

ronan, slim_boy_fat and Brummie like this.
  10. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

It's been one of those days? :laughing:

11. Every day is one of 'those' days lately! Not sure if it is old age or losing marbles or what! Funny thing is, I checked the orientation of the one I did today. Oh well, hopefully it'll not take too long to make the spreader plates.

You can see the gas leak on the first picture. It's welded both sides so no weakness there.

slim_boy_fat and Robotstar5 like this.
  12. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

id be concerned about the thickness of them
    arms ! look deeply corroded

Advertisements