Boxford / scope advice

1. Paul 101 New Member

Hi all,
    Another newbie questions.
    Ive been looking at buying a small lathe, just as a hobby lathe, i had some good advice from here last time with a model c boxford,
    Im now watching another model c, it is advertised as having manual cross feed, and change wheels etc, the pictures dont seem to be a model c, would i be right in thinking this is a model BUD. As i can see the clutch under the cross side.
    It has a lot of extras, and is only 15 miles away. the price will probably rock nearest the end, so i also looking at the scope lathe, any advice of what to look for or avoid would be much appreciated, the scope i can views, as its too far away, but has free Delivery.
    Many thanks
    Paul Screenshot_2020-06-29-14-14-32.png Screenshot_2020-06-29-14-14-32.png Screenshot_2020-06-29-14-13-53.png

• Screenshot_2020-06-29-14-14-13.png
  2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

That looks for all the world like a BUD but it's a mixture. It has a MKII head and it's on a MKI stand. The lever on left hand side of the stand is the belt tensioner. MKII/MKII used an internal arrangement.

I've found the auction: As above, fixed steady, no travelling steady, clog-heeled toolpost (replace with a QCTP). Some changewheels but does have the 100/127 Imperial/Metric converter (so 8tpi leadscrew). Metric cross slide feed screw with a damaged handle, so the screw may be bent. Catchplate with one drive dog and a two-way toolpost that I can't identify.

3. Paul 101 New Member

Many thanks for your reply, hope your keeping well, its only 15 miles away from me, so may take a look at it, but like i say im a complete notice, so wouldnt have picked up on the the mixture of different bits.
    They seem to be going for silly money at the moment, so will have to Keep a eye on the auction, thats why i was looking at the scope lathe.

Many thanks
    Psul

4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I'd expect to get a Model A for the money. But, as you say, they are starting to attract a premium price. You want one that's as fully loaded as possible. It's the things like steadies, changewheels, milling slides that really push the cost up if you have to buy them separately.

slim_boy_fat and Paul 101 like this.
  5. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

There's a much better equipped MKI Model C. Dickson Toolpost with lots of holders, DRO, steadies, and collets, on Home Workshop.
    No mention of change wheels. Wrong end of the country, but might be worth considering. they're not too difficult to move.
    upload_2020-7-1_10-53-52.png

Advertisements