BOC screen questions

1. weldingnovice Member

So I have a auto darkening screen as above.

It sometimes takes a few welds to get it working and the outer protective screen is scratched to giggery.

Are there any spares available for this or is it an obsolete item?

How much would a new screen of similar quality cost and what type is comparable?

WP_20180913_20_09_48_Pro.jpg WP_20180913_20_09_48_Pro.jpg WP_20180913_20_11_24_Pro.jpg
    TIA

Don't know what's going on with pics, sorry

2. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

That is an Optrel, not sure what model but it is older than the E684 but looks like the same cover lens.

Wildefalcon likes this.
  3. wyn

wyn Member

I have a similar BOC screen but the 5-13 one.

It is an Optrel satellite and you can still get the front and back lenses.
    I usually get a few when i pick up gas from boc. There are quite a few welding suppliers on the internet that still do them.

4. weldingnovice Member

Will have a look on line and see if I can find some info did search for BOC helmet before and didn't have any luck.

Cheers

5. wyn

wyn Member

MarkG likes this.
  6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

From the first link you pasted it seems that the E684 lenses are the same.
    ScreenHunter_1821 Sep. 13 21.38.jpg

7. MarkG S.P.A. Welding Supplies - Lancing

West Sussex
    Part numbers are 5000.212 for the front cover lenses and 5000.300 for the inners.

Both are in packs of 5.

The fronts stayed the same throughout the range of that shape headshield, only the inners changed to a slightly larger size when they released the E650, E670, E680, E684 and Vegaview.

8. weldingnovice Member

Looks as though filter is no good was very intermittent today then went off completely.

Had a quick look on the web and there are a confusing (to me anyway) amount of screens available.

What would be a like for like replacement for old the screen as I thought it was quite a decent thing? And how much am I looking at to replace it?

Don't want to throw money away on a cheap one, but similarly don't need a top end one as weld as and when needed.

TIA

9. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

If looking at another Optrel then a VegaView may be a decent option as it will likely have similar features to the BOC one but have the addition of a 2.5 light state.

I had an Optrel E684 and it was very nice indeed and kind of sad I sold it on. It doesn't have the 2.5 light shade but it does have the Auto mode which sets the shade to suit the arc intensity when you are welding. It works extremely well and you can offset a couple of shades either way to tune it to your eyes, it also has full manual mode.

Currently I have a Panoramaxx and I love it especially as the shape stops it misting up which is a thing I always suffered from. It also has the Auto and the 2.5 light shade which is great but one thing I preferred on the E684 was the blue tint, the Panoramaxx has a green tint. It is still nice and crisp and clear with colour clarity but the blue just suited my eyes better.

weldingnovice likes this.
  10. weldingnovice Member

Had looked at both of them and the VegaView was not as much as the E684, both were within what I was expecting to part with.

Previous one didn't have many features other than a switch to choose between 10 or 11 I think.

Though it didn't tend to mist up even when wearing a decent dust mask to catch most of the soot and fumes etc though my safety specs did.

2.5 light state will have to look into that.

Cheers.

11. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

I do a lot of my welding outside and in the winter and I am wearing heavy clothes so the bottom of the helmet tends to be blocked off for air and that is what makes things mist for me.

The Auto feature of the E684 and Panoramaxx is really nice, it just works exactly as it should, you can be welding with Tig at 40 Amps then go to MIG Aluminium at over 200Amps and it adjusts exactly right. As said you can offset either way by 2 shades and your adjustment is used each time so no tweaking after you initially set it, on the E684 I think I was usually just under -1 on the Panoramaxx I think I am -0.5 kind of way.

The 2.5 shade on the Vega and Panoramaxx is brilliant, just like daylight. The E684 is just 3 I think which makes more of a difference than you would imagine. Having said that if it was a toss up between the Vega and the E684 I think I would go with the E684 purely for the Auto. If I had the choice of any of the 3 it would be the Panoramaxx for me though as it has the 2.5 and the Auto although I would have preferred it with the blue tint of the E684 but you can't have everything I suppose :D

12. weldingnovice Member

Got the Vega from off of the interweb. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, hopefully at the weekend depending upon work, weather and her indoors.

Cheers

Hood likes this.
Advertisements