BOC Hobby Weld price increase effective January 2020

1. no idea Member

I've just received a letter from BOC stating that the Hobby Welder deal prices for Argoshield Light Y size cylinders is changing to £40.00 + VAT for the cylinder and £52.00 + VAT for yearly rental AND that there will now be a collection charge of £5.99 (presumably + VAT).

I believe the collection charge is per transaction rather than per cylinder. I don't know if there is a change to the cost of Argon (cylinder and/or rent).

These changes take effect from 1st January 2020 so it might be a good time to change cylinders now rather than wait.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  2. optima21 Forum Supporter

yeah and the Pureshield is £52 +VAT per cylinder with £52+VAT cylinder rental.

not sure how much the previous prices were though to compare them too. Im guessing most low usage customers will only be changing one cylinder at a time so its a big price hike due to the collection charge (especially on the argoshield light).

3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

I got the same letter this morning, same for the argosheild universal size Y

4. Think I`ll ditch mine as local place down the road will be cheaper as it will just be one off refundable deposit of £60 + £35 refill price.

Dan

123hotchef likes this.
  5. pondy

pondy Member

I'm going to ditch mine in favour of a rent free option. I very rarely use my mig at home as have use of welders at work, if I do weld at gome I usually just use the mma side of my machine

6. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Still the best option for me. Not any local distributors for anything competitive and there's a BOC agent only a few miles away - and the added bonus of the banter and sexual innuendo with the lass that deals with BOC there.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    I got the same letter, in the grand scheme of things i shall just carry on. Local alternative suppliers are even more bottom smackingly expensive. A neighbour drives to Adams gas in ramsgate to get his. A days drive there & back & half a tank of fuel to save a few quid?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Me too. Like @Keith 66 I'm just going to continue. The chap at the depot even loads the cylinder(s) into the car for me, so it's worth it just for that. And for all the usage mine currently get it's less than the cost of a pint when spread out.

Robert Weaver likes this.
  9. julianf

julianf Member

Just called them -

Last years gas price - 36.50, so about 10% rise on that price
    Last years rental - 47.00, so another 10% on that also.

But, the killer - the £5.99 transaction charge.

I mean, imagine going to any other shop, and them selling you something, and then charging you to shop there. Considering a hobby user will only really ever be swapping one tank at a time, basically, theyve put up the gas price from 36.50 to 45.99 - which is just over a 25% increase, in addition to the 10% on the rental.

This will probably make rent-free more viable. I explained this to the person on the phone, and apparently "sales" are going to call me on monday....

The cynic in me thinks that the whole hobby gas thing was to attack the rent free market, and, now that theyve got people, they will milk them, knowing that people are too lazy to change.

daf45, BarrieJ, tom2207 and 3 others like this.
  10. Pigeon_Droppings2 Forum Supporter

£52+vat for rental sounds crazy to me....but thats because I don't use huge amounts of gas I guess!!

Barnet welding near Potters bar do rent free cylinders....but top ups are more expensive. I think a 20l topup is £65 maybe....something like that but I only use 1 or 2 a year so the rental cost would be more I think than the extra on the gas at least for me.

dobbslc likes this.
  11. julianf

julianf Member

Just had 2 call backs from BOC.

The woman tried to justify the 25% increase by "everything is going up", and then started talking about her train ticket...

Left me feeling even more sure that leaving was a good plan.

Who are the rent free suppliers that i should be looking up? : )

tom2207 likes this.
  12. julianf

julianf Member

Y size is 20 ltrs, right? Boc is to 200 bar?

I just called my sgs agent (who is closer to me than the BOC one)

Cylinder deposit (fully refundable) - £110 + vat
    Fill to 200 bar (5% co2, 95 argon) - £55 + vat

So the gas is £9 more (boc is £40 plus the £5.99 transaction charge) but no rental, all be it you lend them £110.

I use between one and two fills a year - ie hardly anything. So ill work out £34 a year cheaper on the SGS, even if i do two fills??

And ill never have to deal with BOCs shifty accounts system ever again... : )

13. ukracer Forum Supporter

Its a pity wages and pensions don't go up by the same 25%.

BarrieJ likes this.
  14. hotponyshoes Member

I think the y argon from boc is 230bar.

Check the t&c's on the fully refundable part as well.

Do a forum search as well because I think it was sgs gas that give some cash back to forum members

15. hotponyshoes Member

16. julianf

julianf Member

I think youre right about the 230bar thing... i seem to recall that somwhere. So, whats that, 15% more gas. It will change the numbers a bit, but probably not enough to make me friends with BOC again! : )

https://www.sgsgases.co.uk/faqs-support/

17. hotponyshoes Member

It changes the price by 15% but there is also the refill frequency, if a 230bar bottle lasts you 230 days you will have to change a 200 after 200 days.
    If you are only using that amount it's not going to be an issue unless the depot is miles away.

If you really wanted to be detailed you could take into account that there will always be 20l of gas left in the bottle that you cant get out so you end up returning less gas to the supplier the higher pressure bottle you use but that's got to be well under £1 per fill anyway.

I actually use hobbyweld now because my local boc shut down and that's what they swapped to.
    For the amount of gas I use boc works out cheaper but I currently choose to pay more for the convenience of mostly a local depot but the fill is 300 bar so less swaps and the bottles themselves work better for me at the moment.

I have never had any problems with any suppliers but I dont really have any brand loyalty either so I would be happy enough to swap around if other options became available locally or I would even go and get a few boc bottles if I was planning on using a lot of gas in a short period and had the time to fetch and return them. I think it would need to be a lot more than my regular usage to justify it though but then it's not my day job so my current gas prices are going into the job quote anyway and I'm not really trying to be competitive on the quotes.

18. Spot the welders dog

Spot the welders dog Member

Received a updated price list from BOC today. I've called them and am awaiting a call back to confirm if this will hit the 'hobby deal' as well.
    From 6th April the price of Argoshield Light is:
    £55.49 'Y' refill
    £115.60 annual rental
    £15.99 customer collection
    £1.09 EES surcharge (NI different rates)

19. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I received the same letter today and have emailed to ask for written confirmation that the prices don't apply to me (on the small weld deal). I presume there will be price rises, but the numbers in the letter they sent were staggeringly high - compared to what I'm paying at the moment it's more than double the price for the annual rental and then the per bottle price would be higher than the rent free gas I was getting from Adam's/Andy's Gas (once you've included collection fees and surcharges).

Assuming it is a generic price list change and the small weld deal prices aren't going up to 237% of what they were before, I also don't understand why they couldn't send me a letter telling me how the prices will rise for the small weld deal rather than scaring me with stupidly high prices.

20. Spot the welders dog

Spot the welders dog Member

Unbelieveable hike if it is confirmed! Plus those prices need VAT paying on top.

Advertisements