Bluetooth ear defenders

1. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I'm trying to be a good boy and wear more ear protection. I have used the IsoTunes Pro bluetooth ear buds for the last few years, but the build quality is a bit cack and I have issue with ear wax buildup so I'm thinking of trying proper over-ear defenders.

Are the 3M Worktunes the ones to go for (£100 ish off amazon) or can anyone recommend another brand that isn't junk?

Brad93 likes this.
  2. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Just bought, around 3 months ago, the ISO Tunes Pro with mic.

Have to say for the price, the sound quality is ok, I’ve had better from standard wired headsets. They do block out quite a considerable amount of background noise which is nice, but the Mic is absolutely useless it picks up all of the background noise it’s purported to ignore, and those on the other end of the phone say it’s distant and difficult to hear what’s being said, so in the end I have to leave the workshop, shut the digger off, stop baling, etc, etc in order to adequately take the phone call.

Joiner mate had a set of the “Peltor”? Bluetooth ear protectors, but said they were took clunky and made his head sweat in the workshop.

FIL had a set of no name Bluetooth ear protectors and said much the same.

Sound quality across the board is adequate, but anything else in my eyes needs work.

3. hotponyshoes Member

I have got a pair of Sony ones that have lasted pretty well in the workshop for the last couple of years. About £100 new but a lot easier to find a used pair than the 3M etc ones.
    I think I paid £50 for mine including a new set of covers

4. MattH

MattH Member

I've got some of the 3M bluetooth ones from when I was running the CNC in the small shed.
    They were expensive but cut out loads of noise.
    Can can try them in the weekend if you want.

5. HughF

HughF Member

I see Stihl do a pair for £69 which is reasonable - and Stihl tend not to make junk.

Matt, I'd be interested to have a look over those at the weekend, cheers

6. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

I would be looking at a reputable manufacturer of hearing protection equipment rather than a household audio products maker that also did hearing protection.

Have a look at anything made by Peltor, its expensive but the dogs danglies as far as hearing protection is concerned.

The amount of protection afforded by hearing protection is denoted in many different ways. One such way is the Single Number Reduction or (SNR). For typical work shop use anything with an SNR of around 25 will be perfectly adequate.

Higher SNRs of 30 are also available, but due to a higher level of protection being afforded they tend to "clamp" around the ears much tighter and can become uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

stuvy and rtcosic like this.
  7. MattH

MattH Member

Just dug mine out and they are 3M Peltor WS Workstyle.

They were a lo of money but work very well indeed.

Parm likes this.
  8. HughF

HughF Member

I can't find the sony ones anywhere - I'd go 3m or Stihl probably...

Parm likes this.
  9. hotponyshoes Member

The Sony ones I am using are just consumer grade audio ones.
    The noise cancelling works very well.
    They do a higher model that lets you choose what type of noise to block using the app.
    They are also leather which seems to resist grinding sparks and the like better than some of the industrial type ones.
    If you are using them in a proper workplace then, as parm says, you might want something where hearing protection is the primary aim. I mainly use them as I like listening to my own music when the old boys have radio 4 on.
    Plus they are good to block out noise from the compressor and stuff

stuvy likes this.
  10. Migmac

Migmac Member

Never used any with Bluetooth but use electronic peltors daily. Once you get used to them they are very comfy, they do make you sweat and ear wax does build up quickly.

Parm likes this.
  11. HughF

HughF Member

Ah, understood. I already have bose QC2 that I use for my dayjob (long haul flights) - I'm after something to handle the rough and tough of the workshop and for tractor/digger driving.

12. HughF

HughF Member

Picked up the 3m peltor workstyle from Matt yesterday, very pleased with them. The Bluetooth performance is excellent, as is the noise isolation.

Brad93 likes this.
  13. In my day SNR referred to Signal to Noise Ratio.

indy4x and Seadog like this.
  14. ukracer Forum Supporter

Do they have a wife setting?

stuvy likes this.
  15. Revs1972

Revs1972 Forum Supporter

I’ve got that built in .....(not in the headphones) :whistle:

stuvy likes this.
  16. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I need a pair of these. What are the Peltir ones new?

17. HughF

HughF Member

Not sure.... But the way I see it, there are 3 options:

3m Worktunes - £80-100 or so, don't know if they have a microphone for calls etc
    3m Peltor Workstyle - £300 possibly?, user replaceable batteries (will run on alkaline AAA if required), has microphone and some special voice amplifying audio processing built in
    Stihl ones - £60-80, unsure if they have microphone, but they are stihl orange

18. CoValent

CoValent Member

19. stuvy

stuvy Member

I use a personal DAB radio it’s about £80 from Argos. My last one went through the was twice and still worked for ten years then gave up one day.

I only use inner ear phones especially when welding as Iv had an ember go in to my ear and my god did I swear more than normal

I only wear peltors and just have one earphone in unless I’m grinding for a prolonged period of time

20. sjp001 Member

Sorry if this is already suggested as I skimmed the thread... Have you considered buying any regular ear defenders you like, then using some wireless headphones / airpods. Slightly more hassle to put on of course.

Advertisements