Blowing Holes ??

1. scoot Member

Lincoln,UK
    Hello Guys.....Got a SIP 130 Turbo (running C02 Argon Mix) MIG....& desperately need some assistance !! As some of the other members have said, can run a great weld on a piece of scrap, but when it gets down to the real thing it just ain't happening !! Was doing some welding today on my girlfriends 1954 Minor & just kept on blowing holes !! Very frustrating !! Played about with settings (any advice GREATFUL) Welding inside so no breeze to disturb gas at torch.......just completely drawing a blank & got to do lots more tomorrow !! HELP !!

2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Is the metal on the Minor is thinner than the stuff you've been practicing on? How often are the holes appearing? If it's after an inch or welding the skip method is good - do an inch, skip to somewhere that's still cold and weld another inch there.

If it's blowing through quickly then maybe the power is set too high on the welder. Reducing the power and wire speed might help, although the metal needs to be completely shiny and clean for low power stuff to work at all. If you are butt welding try to minimise the gap between the two sheets.

Failing that the thin metal technique works quite well.

Post some photos if you can and I'll go for a more educated guess. :D

3. scoot Member

Lincoln,UK
    Blowing Holes.....Again !!

Thanks Malcolm, very much appreciated. I will go back to it tomorrow & start with low settings for everything & build up from there. I think I ought to perhaps try & clean the area surrounding a bit more thoroughly too (after you suggestion) maybe the old paint isn't helping, & also try & get a better earth going on !!
    My practice pieces are the same thickness BUT they are raw steel, so obviously no earthing or contam problems.
    I'd love to send you some pics, but it's too embarrasing !! I'll try & rectify my "nastiness" first, I'm sure it was because I was going too slow, with too higher settings.
    Whaddya suggest to try & rectify the holes (approx 3-4mm), I can only get to the outer face of the piece being welded.
    It was difficult to walk away from it today, as I've got loads to do, but I knew if I carried on I'd only make it worse & tomorrow is another fresh welding day !

4. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

Walking away from things when they aren't going well is the best thing to do - otherwise you start getting annoyed then start getting enthusiastic with big hammers. I've been fitting an exhaust system today which has involved a lot of walking away. And a few hammers. :D

3-4mm holes are no trouble. Just weld a tiny bit to one side, wait a second then weld a tiny bit a third of a circle (120 degrees) around, then another third around etc until the there is enough metal around to make a continuous weld in the middle to seal things up.

Don't worry about posting photos - nobody will laugh, and some people will learn from the adjustments you make to sort the problem.

I wish I'd taken photos of the last low light Minor I saw (is that '54?). I helped push it out of the ditch it had ended up in after some misguided reversing. :D

5. scoot Member

Lincoln,UK
    There She Blows !!

Hi & HAPPY EASTER !! Not !! Just spent four days crawling around a bloody Morris Minor in a small garage with bad overhead lighting.....going back to work tomorrow for a rest !! Anyway, no longer blowing holes after a long & hard re-tune on a SIP 130 Turbo. Why are these things so difficult to tune ?? Getting real good weld now, wire speed perhaps a bit too fast, but I can live with that, I daren't turn it down I might upset everything else !!
    Did have a problem with new tips protruding past the shroud end & getting the wire constantly "welding" to the tip end. This was rectified by putting two thick (2mm-ish) onto the shroud threads to act as spacers & lengthen the shroud.
    Also after a far more thorough clean up of the working metal, I was getting a far better earth. A pain to go over all my prepping again BUT well worth the time, I didn't realise the importance of a real good clean earthing section !
    I'm going to post a new thread/request for this one, but I think I desperately NEED an auto helmet. When working in darkened areas I can't see a thing until the torch strikes & then the cheapo helmet I've got seems TOO dark to actually see where I'm going !! AAAARGH !!

6. plexer Member

According to a welding supplier web site it says the sip 130 has automatic wire feed which is set by the machine depending on the setting but with a manual overide as well.

Will have to see in the manual what it says.

Ben

Advertisements