Binzel MB25 EVO Vs Parweld's Pro-Grip

1. julianf

julianf Member

I need a larger torch for my portamig 215.

In truth I don't really know what I'm doing with products, but from what I can tell I need an mb25 and the two in the title seem to be suggested here and there.

My questions -

Have I got it right, and it is an mb25 that I need?

And then which of the torches if that is the case?

About 3 years back, I posted this thread, should more info be needed -

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...im-a-novice-is-this-normal.71929/#post-975136

Thank you!

2. Jlg

Jlg Member

I’ve got a binzel mb25 if interested

3. metalmelt Member

Julian, the smallest is the MB 15 which has the smallest head and is really only suitable for 0.6 and 0.8mm wire and the larger 0.8mm wire will only really handle around 170 amps maximum for decent quality wire.

MB 25 is the next size up and the head and shroud are larger and these generally handle 1mm wire which realistically handles around 250 amps.

It comes down to your welder output and the type of welding you do, in simplistic terms if you work in a lot of confined or tight spaces the MB15 is better under most circumstances if you are under the maximum current and use 0.8mm wire and for larger currents and working in non confined spaces the MB 25 is better as they are air cooled torches and the MB 25 gives a lot more cooling, particularly with 0.6 or 0.8mm wire.

If finances permit them having both is a nice option as it gives you more scope.

a111r and James1979 like this.
  4. julianf

julianf Member

Thank you.

I have the 15 currently and have used it a lot, but set it on fire last time I tried to do a heavy job.

I've got some thick stuff to do, so, rather than burn my existing torch again, I figured I'd get whatever I needed.

So my question wasn't small or big... I know I need larger. More that was the MB25 the correct "code" (which you have confirmed - thank you!) and then what brand.

My existing torch was repaired after I broke it last time and is fine now, so the plan is to have a pair and swap between them depending on work.

metalmelt likes this.
  5. julianf

julianf Member

What, for sale, or to advise on?

6. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

The EVO Pro is a lovely torch. It’s got Binzel’s latest lightweight cable which is super flexible. It’s where my money would be going for sure.

Munkul and Tangledfeet like this.
  7. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

@julianf Seconded; I bought one from R H Davey and it is very comfortable, and (without wanting to sound like a fanboi) R H Davey's prices are amongst the best; I'm tight so I do my homework.

(I've also got Parweld ProGrip TIG torches in 17and 26 sizes and they are immensely comfortable and balanced too.)

James1979 and Jim Davey like this.
  8. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

I would suggest it will, come down to personal preference, both are good

9. Jlg

Jlg Member

For sale

10. a111r Member

Seems that any new £500 MIG comes with an equivalent to a "£30 Euro" job, as found on Ebay.
    I have bought two MB15 torches for under £30. The MB25s are not much more.

They're not professional kit of course, but a step change from aged SIP / Sealey torches needing whole new front ends for more cash.

metalmelt likes this.
  11. metalmelt Member

I have a couple of weldquip as spares and they take a lot of abuse, I got mine from work and they are industrial ones, but, buying through work means I got industrial for little more than cheap DIY so if you know a company near you who do this for rmployees it may be of benefit due to huge company discounts.

12. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

MB25 is a much better torch design than the 15, but still has that naff little nozzle friction spring that I always hated. You CAN get a 25 size torch with the much better slip-on nozzles that are mb36 style, but not sure where I saw it... It's maybe a 280 amp rating? Can't remember.

But that's just me being fussy :) I've wasted too many of those stupid springs. If i had to use a smaller gun again I think I'd go for something like a Tweco, or the aforementioned 25/36 hybrid..

metalmelt likes this.
  13. metalmelt Member

Correction, Weldability not Weldquip.

Apologies.

14. metalmelt Member

Many people now do them and the 25/36 hybrid come with different front end consumables and they can be a godsend at times.

Munkul likes this.
  15. Munkul

link me please?

metalmelt and Tangledfeet like this.
  16. metalmelt Member

Weldability site lists them all, so a good source.

17. metalmelt Member

Most 25's handle 250 amps and if your welder provides 215 amps it allows you to switch to 1mm wire and this is often cheaper than 0.8mm and handles welding currents of around 250 amps and for larger work this would be a prudent move, even if you only use it for heavier metal and swap back to 0.8mm for other work. Basically it gives you options.

18. Munkul

The weldability website is garbage, I can't even find the regular binzel torches listed, just a confusing jumble of parts :vsad:

19. Domdom Forum Supporter

Agreed. If that site is any indication of company quality I would probably avoid them. Besides, I don't have 3 days of my life to work out what I need.

20. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Maybe these..?! :dontknow:

[​IMG]

They seem to go purely by amperage than 25/36 designation..?

Advertisements