Better start to a weld

1. jimmythomson Member

Evening,

I've been having a practise on my recently purchased Clarke 130TE (it's second hand and very old). I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum about techniques etc., but wanted to see if there were any suggestions for getting a cleaner start to the weld.

Here's a bead I put down a little earlier (see the bottom bead)....

IMG_20190123_173041905.jpg

You can see the slightly unclean start, and additionally at the end of the weld it tends to tail off a bit.

For the tailing off at the end I'm guessing that I need to make an effort to finish with the torch upright rather than 15deg back. Any ideas for cleaner starting or a better end to the weld? Any general thoughts on the weld appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jimmy.

2. Iva hardy Member

Im still learning myself but i would suggest your setting off too fast when you first start welding, hitting trigger and moving straight away without getting any metal down .. when i finish a bead i will just go back on myself slightly .. above said i could be wrong but this is how i do it ..

3. jimmythomson Member

Thanks - I'll make an effort to slow down at the start and see what happens. What you say makes sense. I'm just waiting to have some electrics sorted before firing the welder up again. I'll post back with any results when I get the chance.

Jimmy.

4. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

To be fair, youre not going to get a much better start (or stop for that matter) than those in the picture due to the nature of the process.
    The middle one on the right hand side looks like you had a bit of popping at the start? That could be wire speed/voltage, bit of oil/rusy/scale on the plate,.... but more than likely an iffy earth connection.
    Other than that, dont look like anything wrong at all.

5. jimmythomson Member

Thanks. That photo is a small part of a much bigger plate where I've been messing around with the wire feed and voltage settings. There's some really awful stuff elsewhere on the plate!
    Good to know that they're looking alright though.

6. north Member

Think you need more Power...Just test...:sheep:

7. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

One way to help your start is to preheat the metal, if its stone cold, as the weld doesnt penetrate as well until the metal heats up.

Advertisements