Bench Work Light

1. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I am finding I need more light to see the puddle, I have been using a angle poise type lamp on the bench but it tends to set off my mask so no real benefit. Is there a type of lamp or bulb which is less likely to set the mask off but still give good light. I don't know if LED is an advantage?

2. bourbon Member

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I use one of those, but with weighted base at the lathe to supplement the strip of LEDs I have above it - this arrangement works well. :thumbup: It sits on the top slide so is always focused on the workpiece/tool interface.

I'm in the middle today of making a freestanding, rechargeable light based on a very bright, 3-power LED bike light - it'll be versatile and designed to be used at the various machines [mill, welder (when trying to get into TIG :ashamed:)] pillar drill, at the vice, lathe [although not really needed there as I have that covered].

If I can, I'll shove up pics later.

4. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Costco do some very reasonably priced LED shop lights, I have 3 in my garage and they give of excellent light.

5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

So does LED not set the masks off then?

6. Kent

Kent Member

Your on the wrong track. A light will help you see the place to start before you arc up but is no use in sering the puddle (because thats a tremendous amount of light )
    Gor your issue you need a better visor a lighter shade filter a cheater lens or spectacles.

BarrieJ likes this.
  7. sjp001 Member

Worth getting an led battery/head torch and taping it to the top of your helmet if you have one lying around. I suspect that wouldn't trigger the sensor in your helmet as the light source is pointing away from the sensor. If it works then you can fix it on more permanently.

8. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

The issue may be more to do with light behind your head reflecting off the inner lens and making it harder to see.

zx9 and Ashley Burton like this.
  9. gt6s Member

I use a 50w LED above the welding table run off but switched from main florescent no need to be independently wired. Cheap as chips.

Laurence

• s-l1600.jpg
  10. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Yes its just to see when starting or if in a corner etc. Got the cheater lens and that is a great help, I usually run on shade 10 and that is ok once got the weld going, guess its a combination of getting older and being inexperienced I guess. Oh and I have a small led on the helmet......... Its more the general lighting in the shop is the usual fluorescent's which are fine for everything other that this, so perhaps an independent flood may just cure it.

gt6s likes this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

As per post #3, here's the Ikea light I mentioned along with the complete lathe lighting set-up.
    The part in the chuck is for the other light stand I'm doing, nearly finished after that but I got distracted after a duff 6mm tap stopped play. Ought to get it finished tomorrow :)

IMG_20190323_130203.jpg

IMG_20190323_132344.jpg

8ob, MattF and Lazurus like this.
  12. MattF

MattF Member

I have a LED bulkhead above the lathe. From Toolstation, if I recall correctly.

1553445374183599111704.jpg

Advertisements