Bench Grinder

1. Parm

Parm I only give advice if I know

Can you folks suggest a bench grinder for home hobby use that's good and won't break the bank.

My one of almost 20 years gave up the goose today

2. Mee Banned

Many of the 1/2 Hp, 6" are available at a good price.

3. grim_d

grim_d Member

4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Johns Engineering in Forfar have a nice Denford 3 phase bench grinder: http://s237712126.websitehome.co.uk/metalworking/ Nice drive to the lovely east coast for you. ;-)

6. grim_d

grim_d Member

Nice machine, not 5 hour round trip nice though.

They can't understand me either. West coast, like, eh!

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbg6rz-6in-bench-grinder/

I have two of the older version of this model.
    It has bean used and abused.
    My first threw it's power switch, a quick simple repair and still going.

Buy a wire brush to fit on one end, you will be surprize how often you will use it.

SAM_1155.JPG

The image shows my repair on the old one, fitted with a extra course stone.

8. Pete.

Pete. Member

I use mine a lot, it brings nuts and bolts up like new. Make sure you keep the rest close to the wheel though and be sure to wear specs especially when the wheel is new.

9. Parm

It now looks like I may need two grinders. One fitted with the normal abrasive wheels and a second with very fine abrasive for grinding lathe tools that im planning to make.

Agree with the wire brush, it really get used quite a lot. I have a wood turning lathe that doesn't get used much for wood turning, So i have fitted a 3 jaw chuck to hold a wire brush wheel

10. 123hotchef Member

I have 3 bench grinders now 1 is never enough Parm big one little one and a nice knife sharpening one with a wet stone

Parm likes this.
  11. 123hotchef Member

12. Parm

I have a water stone wheel that spins at 90 RPM for sharpening knifes, chisels etc.

I need a new general purpose one for using and abusing, however ive also been told that I need another one with some sort of "Green" wheel for grinding tungsten carbide lathe tooling that I will be making soon.

Its gone from replacing one that is toast to now getting two !!!

123hotchef likes this.
  13. spencer 427

spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    It depends on your budget. I have a warco 8inch. Very powerful and very well made. Haven't got wire wheel yet thoe.

14. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

What sort of turning are you planning on doing and how much? I just use the standard carbide inserts and they last well and keep things simple. If making special one offs I'd just use tool steel.

I hardly use my grinder if I'm honest but good to have when needed.

15. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i can vouch for titan stuff there heavy in use but some times that helps i got the large braker

[​IMG]

its very heavy compaired to hilti and such but its only £149.99 when i got it i bought it when i got my new house 3 years ago to brake up the path out the front of the house but i did have 3 other jobs in mind fencing to do and the drive as one of my last jobs so renting it 3 times would be near the price of buy this even the concrate 12 inch think it went stright through

a builder that i know said his workers keep braking the expensive ones and cost a packet to repare and needed one quick for a short notice job so bought one and now has 3 of them he now dont mind if they get thrown around its got a year warrenty generaly get one replacment before the years out and then buys another when out of warrent the cost to him is less than getting the hilti repaired once

i also got the standard 240 drill with roto stop used it meny times over the years its nearly falling apart but not given up yet and that one only £50

123hotchef likes this.
  16. Parm

Im just a hobby turner that got given a Raglan Little John Lathe for free.

I need a tool post and some tooling, but looking at costs for both it was going to be a good few several hundred pounds. Dads a retired engineer so has offered to get me some old school tooling to fit to a four way post. Its just then a simple case to braze some tips to square bar, grind and away I go. Best bit is it wont cost me any money, except for a grinder which I need anyway

17. MoreWellie Member

18. Deltic

Deltic Member

Get one with as big a motor as you can afford. It makes grinding new tools much quicker.

19. Pete.

Pete. Member

I have three too. 8" one with a wire wheel and a 8" aluminium oxide wheel. An old heavy duty 6" one with a green wheel and a hard brown wheel. A Modern lightweight 6" one with a 4" diamond cup wheel and a 6" 1500 grit diamond lapping wheel.

Mee, 123hotchef and Parm like this.
  20. monkeh

monkeh Member

I have the Titan one and it's a good grinder, is also easy to add a diamond wheel on the side for tungsten sharpening.

• 20170110_152346.jpg
    optima21, 123hotchef and Parm like this.
Advertisements