beginers first attempts

1. paulo66 Member

hi all, brand new to all this so here goes, ive just got a
    Dirty Pro Tools™ Professional Mig Welder Gasless 100A 100 Amp 230V
    no idea how it should be set up as there are no instructions.and here are some pics of my first attempts, pretty poor, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    20171129_113124[1].jpg 20171129_113124[1].jpg 20171129_113133[1].jpg
    and here are some pics of my first attempts, pretty poor, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Welcome to the forum::waving:

For gasless some of the welds are not bad at all, it is nowhere near as nice as gas to use and a bit more difficult to learn with but you have done ok for a first time.

The steel you have used looks galvanised in the photo's, if it is then that's not good to practice on, difficult to weld and dangerous fumes, even trying to clean the galvo off before welding is not really a good idea.

Amazing how may firms use the word professional in their brand names ;)

paulo66 likes this.
  3. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

that metal dosnt look clean

for first pic they are rushed a bit spit spot and spit as you tried to first weld i suspect you found the welding light a bit bright so thought you was burning through the metal

second pic looks better slower more relaxed

then you tried to jump by doing other welds

paulo66 likes this.
  4. paulo66 Member

many thanks, think the metal was galvanised and yes it was too bright but could hardly see a thing through the mask that came with it, could only see the arc and not what i was welding.
    ill keep at it and get a real helmet.
    many thanks for your input

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

dump that galvanised stuff before it really makes you really ill

get some other type of scrap from somewhere your looking for about 2mm 3mm to learn to weld with

scrap beds arnt like this there too thin

slim_boy_fat and paulo66 like this.
  6. Instructor_Nige Member

Firstly, don't give up practising, you will get there.

Looking at the heavy spatter, I wonder if you have the polarity correct! For flux core, most (not all) require electrode negative polarity.. so your earth lead should be connected to the positive connection. having this the wrong way does produce heavy spatter. also, unlike MIG with gas, you need to pull the torch or drag it like you do with stick welding (MMA) this is because the flux floats to the top and becomes slag which shields the weld as it forms, easy phrase to remember "if there is slag you drag"

I agree 100% with cumbriasteve and Gav1 Galvanised steel is nasty nasty stuff, as an apprentice (too many years ago to admit) I was given the task of cutting up some galvanised steel with an oxy propane cutting torch, the fumes given off by the galv burning put me in hospital for 3 days.. The galv steel could also be the reason for the heavy spatter.

Nige

Advertisements