Beaver mk2

1. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Im making some progress in getting the mill rewired. But something that tickled me Is the fine spindle feed per full rotation drops the spindle 3.8mm

But the dial has 39 segments equating to 0.097mm per segment thought i was losing the plot

So at some point i will make abother feed dial.

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s pretty useless then lol. Cheap quill DRO may be easier.

3. Agroshield Member

If you could attempt to work in the units system in which the machine was built, you might comprehend more fully the designer's intent.

The original dial behind the black knob to the left of the head is divided into 150. Thus each division represents 0.001" (one thousandth of an inch). It happens that 0.150" is 3.81mm.

4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Its metric version, so the quill is marked 0-127mm

Behind the black fine feed the hand wheel dial is marked out at 39 dividions as you say is 0.150" seems very odd the have forgotten about the fine feed when making metric versions not that is matters.

As you can see it confused its past owners. Shame they've marked it multiple times poorly
    IMG_20201112_170153.jpg

5. Pete.

Pete. Member

39 lines is 38 spaces, makes sense when you think of it like that.

Wallace and Parm like this.
  6. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I totally get it, just find it amusing that somone either put on the wrong part or they just didn't feel like converting the fine feed to metric.

7. Agroshield Member

The Beaver parts manual is a bit sketchy, but it does not show different internals for a metric version (compare and contrast with, for example, a Colchester lathe, where the two languages have different parts). So the downfeed is likely the original imperial one with metricated numbers on it. If you take the figures on the side, they are direct conversions of the ones shown on the side of the imperial one (.0045", .0021" and .0086"). They did well to make it with a 5" quill stroke, so that converts exactly.

The 3.81mm does not factor easily (3 x 127 = 381) and a dial with 127 graduations, indicating increments of 0.03mm is not helpful. Perhaps what you could do is look at the Gamet dual-language dials on Colchester lathes and see if they provide any inspiration.

mtt.tr likes this.
  8. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

I'll just machine a new dial in brass and have it nickel plated which will replicate the original look, i can also include a lock copying the other dials.

As you can get the aggregate number from the normal quill dial which is in 1mm segments.

Yes my manual is very hit and miss. But all is forgiven its a beautiful machine to run.

pressbrake1, slim_boy_fat and Parm like this.
  9. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I don’t think they’d make a quill feed geartrain to suit metric versions it’s not just making another screw hence the odd division number

mtt.tr likes this.
  10. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

I would just expect them to go to the next closest being agonisingly close to 0.10mm for the dial leave the rest . As is, its neither here nor there if it was all imperial on the head it would make sense

11. Agroshield Member

An option is to ignore the dial altogether and make a combined depth stop/depth readout.

This video gives the idea:

It would be nice to find a slim or small body indicator with 25mm/1" travel. Most of the slim ones do not have this amount of travel.

Another option could be a Newall Spherosyn or Microsyn scale (http://www.newall.co.uk/products/?name=Spherosyn/Microsyn+Encoders&catid=1&prid=17) but costly.

Machine DRO do some slimline scales (copies of Sino ones) that would also fit in the same place. The advantage of these is they are compatible with their DRO adder box so knee and quill can be integrated.

12. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

I have x y dro im imclided to buy another 2axis dro from China ( imagine a trump accent) as at £128 you get a 1m and 250mm which would cover the knee and quill. Food for thought.

Brad93 likes this.
Advertisements