Be a lot coolair if I did

1. NickMc Member

I’ve been using my new grit blaster the last week and the only problem I’m having is after a while the air is getting warm and causing some problems. I have two decent quality metalworks filters at the compressor and one on the blaster, very very very little water in them after running for an extensive period(same in the tank drain), I think the air is just too warm. Running 1/2” hose and fittings. No problems keeping up on the air side of it, running a diesel Kubota compressor, blast clean blaster, Jblast supafine and 3mm nozzle.

What are your guys solutions or is it like with most forays into media blasting so far and I just have to suck it up and buy a refrigerated dryer and don’t waste my time/money? would need to go single phase.

also any recommendations on helmets?

Thanks

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

do what I have .a secondary tank a meter away from the blast pot. I also leave the drain off on the water separator slightly open and you can see any bits of water dribble out after half an hours use I take the fittings off it and put the conection pipes strait in and out

• DSCF1195.JPG
    • DSCF1138.JPG
  3. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

Your compressor must be working hard if your getting warm air or you've only got a relatively small receiver for the demand. Air gets quite warm when it's compressed and heat can build up if it gets chance but a lot of the heat should dissipate. Compressed air returning to atmospheric pressure does the opposite and gets cold enough to freeze water. Clearly the heat going in is greater than the heat lost because it hasn't got time to get rid of it so it would appear you need to invest in a chiller of some description either a dedicated unit or run a long finned pipe to the blaster or a much bigger receiver to cope with the demand.

4. NickMc Member

It’s a 150L tank, I’m sure with the engine and the exhaust it’s a contributing factor as well. The previous owner of the compressor has put a big long exhaust pipe on it probably to bring it out through a wall, it passes along the side and under the tank. The engine runs the whole time, but idles down when not pumping.

Thanks for the pictures brightspark, is the “third” smaller airline on the top just for another connection? What pressure are you running at? I’m around 90psi could go higher and the compressor keep up ok?!

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

I run mine at minimum 90 psi up to 120 and don't bother regulating it the pcl conector on top of the tank is to fill it disconnect and use the tank portable with 2 sizes of outlets I use . there is a dip tube from the top conection down to the bottom so when its pressurised just open the ball valve and it expels the water out of tank , heres the conections for the pot . not had any problems with water in the pot since I fitted it .

• DSCF1148.JPG
    • DSCF1149.JPG
Advertisements