Battery tray repair - how feasible

1. jgr2015 Member

Hi All,

I have this less-than-perfect battery tray and I'm wondering how feasible it is to craft a repair piece for the corroded part ?

20200525_210734.jpg

It's approx 1.4mm thick material with a fairly deep flange at the edge. I'd be doing it mainly to try and develop some sheet metal skills and it doesn't need to be concours ☺. I just don't want to tackle something that's way beyond do-able. Any opinions or advice gratefully received.

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    cut a couple of inches off that end , make up a plate with the edges bent over to match and join it on

3. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

I wouldn't have thought fabricating one of a similar design would be too difficult to achieve

4. jgr2015 Member

What I'm wondering is if the flange at the corners of the patch can be shrunk or is it more practical to cut out the excess at the corners of the patch and weld up the cuts ?

5. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@jgr2015 Looking at your picture its general overall condition doesn't look great?

I would consider fabricating a whole new tray personally, Rather than repair the old one

Snowy90 and james butler like this.
  6. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

id try and make it up just for the giggle to see if i can

but a look on ebay to see if you can get the same for a few bucks might be a chance ?

only last week the jack failed on my new car looking at fixing phoned the scrap yard turned up have you got one of these ?

got a new one still in the grease packing not even used fort a 10er some times its not worth it

7. mr haynes Member

Presuming we are looking at function here, bit of sheet, molegrips and a hammer.
    Battery is rectangular, add tabs for any mounting bolts not in rectangle

8. jgr2015 Member

It's a good question as to whether it might be easier to start from scratch rather than be patching.

They're thankfully not impossible to get - more I'd like to learn some sheet metal skills.

9. a111r Member

Is it a valuable / classic car?
    If not, then do whatever to ensure the battery is securely held down.

Not an easy repair, if you're new to this lark.

anjum likes this.
  10. jgr2015 Member

It's from a Mercedes 190 (1990 era) - not a valuable car by any means - future classic - who knows .

New to sheet metal work I surely am.

a111r likes this.
  11. a111r Member

Nice. The 190 is classic, predating the 90's Chrysler bean counters.

I have a 1983 W123, with the same tray, I think.

wacky7791 and jgr2015 like this.
  12. mr haynes Member

From memory the battery is squeezed into the corner next the scuttle on the 190, so going nowhere.
    Refer back to previous post, if you are looking for function for say an mot, i would bend a bit of sheet to the simplest shape and bolt in.
    You could then have your play copying the old one at your leisure

jgr2015 likes this.
  13. mr haynes Member

I broke a number of w123's, still crying :(

14. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Not quite the same but this post might give you a few pointers on making a repair piece for your battery tray.
    This was 1.2 thick if I remember and was fairly easy to work with.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum...-from-the-brink-hopefully.81348/#post-1160068

If you can make forms out of wood, or better still steel if your working with thicker sheet, you can make all sorts of shapes.
    I've ground shapes into plate or welded bits of scrap together to make forms.
    Steel is brilliant for the job, if you take too much off it's easy to put it back.

With a decent form all you need is a hammer, some G clamps and a couple of blunt chisels to make that.
    I did this repair before I had much in the way of body work tools, or practice.

anjum and rtcosic like this.
  15. jgr2015 Member

Thanks for the inspiration @Dcal ! We'll see how it goes for me !

Dcal likes this.
  16. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

You could patch it or just make a new one. The benefit of a new one is you can make it to look however you like. The trick is working out the easiest way to make it.

Cut out a base
    Fold over an edge for the corner sections in one full length
    Tack both together at one start point
    Slot the corners so you can bend and follow the profile
    Weld the base to the edge and the slots in the corners.
    Grind the welds
    Drill some drain holes.

17. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Now @Burdekin
    You could make it out of a bit of angle and plate, but I'm pretty sure thats not what you would do if it was a Volvo and the OP wouldn't learn much.
    It would get the car on the road, but a 190 deserves better.

It's amazing what you can do with a few simple tools and the right attitude.

metalmelt likes this.
  18. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    if you dont feel up to it ...search battery tray repair panel , theres most likley something close that could be used

19. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Tidy ones are £50 on ebay

20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I’d add a few steps in to put some shape in the base etc to look more like original but if it is his first time how complicated he wants to make it is up to him. The method I suggested would look original with a battery on it.

If doing a repair do it in as many bits as needed to make it easy to make and weld together would be my advice.

You will learn techniques and tricks as you go along but the best advice I will give you is keep it as simple as you can when making something, think of the easiest way to make it that will turn out how you want, don’t over complicate things.

metalmelt, BarrieJ and Ashley Burton like this.
Advertisements