Basic set up to teach Welding - costs?

1. Curiousgeorge Member

Good morning all.

I’m playing with the idea of teaching the basics of MIG/MAG to a few people. This would be done in my large garage. Can anyone shed some light on the costs involved?
    I’m thinking a second hand welder, wire, gas and steel.
    I might be able to source some steel but not the rest. Just a vague estimate would be helpful, thanks.

2. Best bet would be to go to a few local welding equipment distributors and get prices from them. If you are going to be running it as a business you also may need to look into things like extraction bearing in mind the new HSE guidelines around welding fume, you'll probably want to think about stuff like liability insurance as well

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

How many are you planning to teach - small classes or one-to-one? For example, on top of the machine(s)/gas consumables et al, all will need appropriate PPE in very good condition, cleaned & 'serviced' between sessions - time is money.

As @backpurge has said, sufficient liability insurance will be a must. Do you need permission for change of use from the Local Authority and do you have close-by neighbours/adequate parking etc - lots to consider.
    @Parm will probably be able to advise on H&S requirements [think Mission Statement and so on], and @The_Yellow_Ardvark on safely stuff like extinguishers etc.

Good luck with the plans. :thumbup:

metalmelt, tom2207, Parm and 3 others like this.
  4. And another thought, not wishing any disrespect but what qualifies you to instruct, just because you are a very good welder doesn't necessarily mean you can get that knowledge across to other people. I've been involved in welder training and testing for getting on for 30 years now and initially had to go through quite a process of re training and I'm still learning with every session I'm involved with

As has been said, there is a lot more to it to do it properly than may be immediately obvious but the best of luck, it can be very rewarding

5. Curiousgeorge Member

Thank you all for some wonderful replies.
    In reply to this, I’ve been teaching MIG since September for an academy (not college) and was working my way towards teaching qualifications but sadly had to leave a few weeks ago.

Whilst there, I was seconded to a trailer producer to upskill their Welders, and non-Welders to C&G Level 2 and to test the employers’ specific test. I did this with five cohorts of six learners.

Now, I’m not saying I’m ‘qualified’ to be a tutor....but I’d suggest I’ve got a good start.

6. Curiousgeorge Member

Excellent helpful reply. Initially just a one to one basis but, I’ll admit, I do have half an eye on building up.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Excellent, as I said no disrespect intended, as you've worked as an instructor you're going to have a good idea of what you will need to get yourself started

gt6s and Curiousgeorge like this.
  8. Curiousgeorge Member

No problem at all - it was a valid and fair question.

backpurge likes this.
  9. Curiousgeorge Member

To bump this again - what sort of price should I be looking at for a second hand MIG welder?
    Further to this, how much for a second hand MIG/TIG welder?

10. bourbon Member

Look at the other stuff first before the welder. Your garage is now a business workshop. You will need suitable extraction at the least, even fire exit signs I would have though. Then there is, as has been mentioned PPE fore everyone. Welding screens, Space for cutting and testing welds ( I would be cutting welds apart to show the inside) If you have money left over, then you can get the welder!

Curiousgeorge likes this.
  11. no idea Member

If you're going to be training people consider getting two welders - one a Clarke type and the other a more industrial type (Tec Arc, Oxford, ESAB, GYS etc.) so that you can cover machine setup properly and the learner can experience the difference between a basic no frills machine and one that has more power and a better drive system, Euro torch etc. However, as others have said, the H&S aspects are considerably more important than the welder you have so make sure that is sorted first.

Can't help with prices other than suggesting you look on here and on Ebay?

metalmelt and Curiousgeorge like this.
  12. gaz1

gaz1 Member

id go with the above comment 2 or 3 machines to learn from

clarke 151
    gys 150
    oxford welder

for a learning prospects all those machines throw up some different wsys of welding.

cost is another thing to consider when learning them just as much as how much they wsnt to pay to learn

many are skinflints will watch youtube and pull out that welder and have a go

also id be getting an oil welder as another machine to weld with

mig is one thing arc is another however gaining or offering that experience would be worth while to a norvice welder

Curiousgeorge likes this.
  13. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Thats very true.......I used to get roped in to do training sessions and presentations....Im crap at both.....I wander off topic too easily (maybe youve noticed)....and where will the car go when your garage is full of people

14. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet #1 Fan of 3M's VHB tape

Some kind of insurance to cover yourself will be an additional cost to consider.

15. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

As above. Initial machine purchases, Consumables, public liabilities, (do you need something else for teaching?)
    Advertising, don't forget to look into regs regarding running abusiness from home.

16. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

George do it like I do to start with and see how it pans out.
    All I do is teach people on a one to one basis how to tig weld.
    I accommodate to peoples skill level and simply get them 3 or 4 good steps further down the road than they were.
    I don’t qualify people, I don’t train for codings, I simply pass on knowledge and skills in a 4 hour tuition session.
    Start off doing the same and see how busy you can be before ploughing cash into the idea.
    If your going to take it seriously then don’t buy a cheap second hand mig. It will be quite embarrassing if it goes pop on training day. Buy a new one from a good name in the game.

17. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Who on earth keeps a car in a garage! Garages are just man(and woman)-sized toy boxes really!

To do it properly, you'd be looking Liability Insurance, probably a change to your home insurance, i imagine some kind of first aid training would be usefull too, grinder, abrasives, you could buy pre cut steel...benches with vices, welder(s), extractor, ppe, then the stuff like computer, printer, washing/toilet facilities...

Then your into the realms of having it all PAT tested, probably having the extraction tested anually too...

18. Curiousgeorge Member

Car is never in the garage, luckily.

19. Curiousgeorge Member

Oh just excellent advice. This is the way I was hoping to go. Thank you so much.

20. Curiousgeorge Member

All excellent. As a side note, I read that PAT testing isn’t actually legally required?

Advertisements