Auto oilers - bad press, why?

1. julianf

julianf Member

I've got a tool here, a pneumatic press, that has its own norgen (I think) regulator and oiler bolted on the side.

Regulator is part broken, so was just going to replace the pair.

But...

Ive read a lot of bad press about the auto oilers on here.

I'm not likley to manually oil all the time, so do the auto ones work or don't they?

(Short question - can I just fit one and job done?)

2. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    They do when set correctly, and checked and refilled with the right oil before it runs out - had so many machines out in the field where every operator is an expert in supply volume and everyone keeps adjusting it, yet no-one refills it once it's empty. Or if they do, its with the wrong oil - found three on one machine in France filled with what appeared to be tar, it was that viscous.

Problem is that most modern pneumatic stuff will run happily without oil - but once you start using, you have to keep on using, or failure will happen pretty quick

Munkul likes this.
  3. julianf

julianf Member

This is a 20 yr old unit, which, I assume, has been run with oil in the past...

4. julianf

julianf Member

Current fitment -

IMG_20200228_134656765.jpg

5. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

we experienced loads'a probs with auo oilers on windturbines.......
    these were new experimental machines with new oiling system......
    forever in trouble.....can't remember the oiler manufacture....British tho......
    they were always at our works messing with em......

the only auto oiler that worked well and it wasn't really an auto unit was / is the oiler on the side of my Bridgeport......
    just lift the plunger and off u go....simples........hahaha.....

brightspark likes this.
  6. dannyp Member

fixed oiler on a machene they seem to work ok but any length of pipe from oil to machene and they dont seem to do much

7. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Well your lubricator needs oil in it . . . And the filter unit needs a new filter. And a gauge if you want to know pressure.

Not much to go wrong in either.

8. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I use them on air starters at work, they are very good, keep them topped up with light hydraulic oil and air motors live long lives!

9. premmington

premmington Member

There is two differing types of these Norgren oilers - one atomises the oil - the other delivers it in droplets.

One is for air tools/motors - the other is for control systems.

The part number will tell you if you have the right type of oiler - norgren website is very good.

10. julianf

julianf Member

I have 2-off the tools that these oilers are on, and both have the same kit on them.

Theyre pneumatically controlled printing presses. So, when i said "press" i did not mean one massive ram, but rather a load of linear actuators etc.

Advertisements