Audi ur

1. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

finaly after much head scratching measuring,grinding welding and turning
    late audi box mated to T5r volvo engine

i also rigged up an old pedal box to check clutch lift /travel and its works ! next move is a 5 segment rotor to fit the end of the exhaust cam to fire the audi tch ignition module and a movable backplate with the hall trigger so i have manual advance retard
    20191215_174643.jpg 20191215_174643.jpg

zx9, nickk, Olderisbetter and 10 others like this.
  2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Gonna be a fun drive with that engine
    Miss mine

stuvy likes this.
  3. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I sort of wish I knew what any of that meant!
    The only guess I can make is that it should probably be horizontally fitted - but only because it looks too tall to fit under a bonnet!

My last "big job" on the van, was to replace a wing mirror that someone knocked off, while i was parked up.
    Had I realised that you have to take the inner part of the door off, I probably wouldn't have tried - loads of hateful breakable clips!

I'm far too embarassed to admit how long it took - but it's done, now!
    As you all might have guessed - I'm not a mechanic - my "expertise" lies elsewhere!

But it looks good, considering you're somehow combining one engine with a non-standard gearbox (from a totally different car!?), along with christ knows what else!

I've seen inside a gear-box before (that some-one else was working on - might I add!) and it resembled the 7th circle of hell - a proper horrific mess of varying-sized cogs, which obviously have to be in the right places!

He got it back together, too - but I've no idea how.

If my life depended on fixing anything like that - I'd be dead!
    Good on you - I seriously wish I could do that sort of stuff.

All the Best,
    CJ

slim_boy_fat and magnet like this.
  4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    That should be a pretty good substitute. T5 is lovely engine, nice and torquey and very durable. There are loads of cheap ones about too

5. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

maybe i should build a helicopter ! i think the audi gearbox would be better than some of the chopper ones

500e likes this.
  6. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

first pair of lights arrived 2 pairs to go the future is bright ! not wired yet but coupled to charger to check bulbs super bi oscars have to look out a couple of relays and heavy wire straight from battery 20191231_155403.jpg
    20191231_160342.jpg

slim_boy_fat, Rig Pig and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  7. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Is this a Mad Max type project?

indy4x likes this.
  8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

Rig Pig and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  9. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

raked a bout and found 2 relays one 40w for high beam and a 25 for dip took fused heavy cables straight from the battery soldered all the connections dont like lucars , 20200102_152638.jpg 20200102_152551.jpg should cope easily with more lamps
    it all works , wecome to the illuminati

10. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

made the rotor for the hall trigger , welded on a strip of steel , 30 amps with the unit over a ,socket , the same diameter ,
    superglued it to an audi 5cyl one and scribed the sections and cut and filed as acurate as possible
    have to position it in relation to the distributer rotor arm and make allowance for about 34 degrees advance by manualy moving the hall trigger housing so in effect i will be the anti knock and boost retard
    those of us with old bikes like manual advance and retard it, used to be a party trick with chauffeurs of old rollers setting the engine up just after tdc then quickly moving the A/R lever to flick the points and it would start 20200108_164627.jpg

11. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

set about making up the ignition set up .
    A ball bearing holds the hall trigger via a flat spring 'an old steel rule , this allows it to move around the rotor to adjust the timing
    the hall trigger is a 3 wire one and it works with the ign module fine ,ihad it mocked up on the bench and big sparks when i passed a metal blade past the trigger coil . A 20200109_130025.jpg nd finally all the bits so simple these modules were used on most of the european cars in the 80s before the ecu took over to control timing ,they can be used on any engine with a bit of ingenuity , i couldnt use the flywheel trigger as i had to remove all the trigger teeth fr om the fly wheel to clear the bell housing
    20200109_111901.jpg 20200109_111901.jpg 20200109_120809.jpg

Ruffian, slim_boy_fat and Rannsachair like this.
  12. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

todays progress pipe bracket , ign module mount , lugs to hold injectors and coil and boost tapping to float bowl , red pipe, wastegate pipe black 20200110_163813.jpg

slim_boy_fat and Rannsachair like this.
  13. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

20200116_161318.jpg 20200116_161436.jpg managed to make a rising rate fuel regulator
    out of a new industrial regulator originaly for instrument air or gases. diaphragm is viton so it should be fine with most fuels .
    With a carb blow thru system it has to have a normal fuel supply pressure on idle, ive set it at 3.5 psi with most of the pump pressure being diverted back to the tank via a return pipe ,the main pressure held at 25 psi
    the pump gives 40 psi

When you boost it the supply pressure has to be above the boost pressure so pressure is fed in at the top of the unit with the pipe i added where the spring lives and in turn raises the supply pressure progressively
    The small pipe feeding into the dome i added has a non return valve so when the engine goes back down to idle it stops the diaprhagm lifting and dropping the pre set idle pressure being held by the spring inside.
    The fitting on the botton has a restriction hole to control the main pressue at 25 psi while diverting some of the fuel back to tank should help to keep the fuel cool too and save vapour lock

chris pruteanu and Exuptoy like this.
  14. chris pruteanu Member

I like it, too many bodges for my liking but they are novel ideeas nevertheless ! Good work young man !

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements