Arc welder advice

1. Paddy346 Member

Hi I just joined this site after alot of searching . I need advice on what welder to buy . All I have is single phase it for around the farm it will be used alot. Mostly 2.5 and 3.2 rods and 1.6 for excaust pipe. Iv 3 welders I'm thinking of ewm fronius and Kemppi I can't deside. Are these as reliable as people say

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

if it's one of those fancy ones with electronics store it in a DRY, WARM place....
    for the farm I had and still have a 180 buzz box.....so simple, very cheap can use it in the rain.....

metalmelt likes this.
  3. mdr

mdr Collector of welding machines

Welcome :waving:

They are amongst the expensive brands so one would assume top quality. Are they robust enough for farm life though? As said already, modern expensive electronics sometimes need careful handling. Do you need a Mercedes-Benz of a welder if it's going to have a hard life?

Could ESAB and Jasic be options too? I think there is the ESAB Rogue that's got a rugged appearance and Jasic can be had with a 5 year warranty for less than £300 (half the cost of a Kemppi Minarc Evo 180). Example: https://www.weldequip.com/jasic-power-arc-180.htm

Maybe look at the Paton VDI 200 (I have one and cannot complain, but I'm just a hobby welder - when it rains I stop work :laughing:).

metalmelt and Paddy346 like this.
  4. Paddy346 Member

I need something I can move round the farm to hang gates machiner repairs and a bit of heavy dab

5. Paddy346 Member

Maybe a thermal arc might be the way to go

6. mdr

Highly recommended on this site so yep. It's an option.

With stick welding I don't think there is much to separate them in terms of function like the buttery smoothness of the arc etc. For TIG I'm sure that's a bigger concern. For mma it's down to amps, duty cycle, working ok on long extension reels and a couple of nice to have controls like arc force or hot start. Plus if it goes pop where do i send it, who pays, and when do I get it back.

Andrew Hayes likes this.
  7. Paddy346 Member

That's my big concern . With fronius I don't have too far to travel to take it back if it goes pop . Like wise with thermal arc. Basic I think has to be sent back to Wilkinson star I think. Now I could be wrong I have been known to be wrong a time or two:whistle:

8. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    I have an inverter fusion MMA welder (a 160MA), the plastic handbag type, came with nice long very flexible leads, nice chunky controls that are easy to use with gloves on, you can stand on the welder if you need a step and when dropped they tend to just bounce and carry on, also built in britain.

Country Joe likes this.
  9. Country Joe

Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Very true - those "hand-bag" inverter fusion ones are bullet-proof - apart from that one control on the front!
    Never tried standing on mine, though - in all these years!

All the Best,
    CJ

10. matt1978

matt1978 www.lorch.eu

Take a look at a Lorch MicorSTICK 160 or the 180 if you need 115v/230v

Both machines can be dropped from 80cm onto concrete floor

11. Paddy346 Member

Has lorch any dealers here in Ireland

12. matt1978

matt1978 www.lorch.eu

Was just in the process of establishing a couple then the lockdown happened.

EPT in Carlow have signed up as I was over there in late Feb, they have some of the 400v 3ph industrial machines ex stock but they don’t have any MicorSticks in stock yet. In all honesty if you wanted to buy one I’d give Wasp Supplies website a look as they have some favourable pricing due to taking us up on some special offers

13. Paddy346 Member

I'd like to buy local if I could . Because if anything should go wrong I'd be able to drive back with it. Would ept be able to order one

14. Paddy346 Member

I'd like to buy local if I could . Because if anything should go wrong I'd be able to drive back with it. Would ept be able to order one

15. mdr

16. Paddy346 Member

Just ended up buying a mates nearly new kemppi minarc 150 well pleased with it. Next thing I want to make is a cart for it how far off the ground should I have the welder .

17. Benterrier Member

Close to the ground is my advice. It depends how wide you make it to prevent it tipping over. My small inverter stick doesn't have one that's the beauty of a small portable. It sits on the bench or the floor where ever the work is.
    A inverter mig welder on the other hand does need a trolley with the gas cylinder on tow.

• IMG_20200919_092338_1.jpg
  18. Paddy346 Member

Do the small inverter arc welders not suck in dust and dirt off the floor. I was thinking of making a small frame that I can sit the welder in with some protection bars bout 2 ft add the ground with hooks to hold leads and a place for rods and a hook for my mask

Advertisements