Arc rods

1. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

7018's are low penetration just like 6013's and I do use em post opening, but like i said you may aswell use 6013's at this point as if 70k psi break can't drop to 60k, you shouldn't be using them. Tell you what though, I found 40 loose Esab46.00 at the back of my workshop a few months back, elastic band round them ready for a job, I couldn't believe it when they ran like new. 3 year old! Lol

Lewis_RX8 likes this.
  2. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

One great thing about 7018's is I've NEVER come across a machine that doesn't run them, really don't need high ocv or dig, smooth even cheap ones! 6010 on the other hand ! 6011 i thought easier to cook oddly. Reason Parweld ditched their cellulosic running machine of old i wonder and now all that specify will run them are a big jump moneywise !

3. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

Ok46.00 are the kiddies although the ok46.30 are good too for sure, problem with them is once you use them anything else doesn't cut it. I've used 5kg of those old school red Murex jobs too that everyone loves. Don't know if it's been said already but Hyundai rods make using a coat hanger wrapped with wet newspaper viable.

metalmelt and Lewis_RX8 like this.
  4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Its surprising how opinions differ from person to person.......Id bet there are a lot who hate the 46....We used to make 2 rods that were exactly the same except one was Red and the other Blue....we would get "those blue ones are great but those red ones are useless".......the red ones found their home in general fabs but the blue ones were loved by shipyards....

We would get big users commenting that they didnt like this or that so we would make some (exactly the same) but with their name on (made especially for them) and often as not they loved them

mind over matter

5. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

True enough, my mate is a pipe fitter for Babcocks in Hull and know a guy who fabs in Birmingham too, they get issued with a huge variation of rod manufacturers. One would assume, especially in the current climate, that the £ rules! That said I'm sure a pro welder could outweld me with a super6 even with my beloved ok46.00, just like Federer would whoop me with a 50's wooden tennis racket with me wielding a carbon fibre one !

metalmelt and Lewis_RX8 like this.
  6. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

known as" tailing in" up here in utopia

slim_boy_fat and Feet 'n Inches like this.
  7. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

Same expression in this neck of the woods. It was the technique I was taught and of course 'encouraged' to carefully grind out the tail when finished!

8. David2015 Member

I bought Lincoln 609060 Omnia 46 electrodes, 2.5mm 6013, thinking they would be awesome but have been really struggling with them. I tried them first on my dc inverter arc welder but then realized they were AC rods. So I tried them on my buzz box and it made a slight improvement, but still hard to run a smooth weld without ending up with spaces along the sides of the weld and slag that doesn't want to come off.

9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

They are the same as the OK 46.00 that MPM loves.........theres no "one sizes fits all" when it comes to rods

10. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

I'm surprised, they were hard work then, very in fact, I've just ran about 20 x 2.5mm rods interspersed with stuffing my tea down neck to make a small grille bbq affair for my dad. Bit rough admittedly, but it's a bbq, big pipe cut n shut, but I was welding at about 45deg and round the half pipe, no problem. Is it odd I like the smell of ok46.00 esab too. Probably...........

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. David2015 Member

I have tried the esab ok 46.00 and they were pretty good. I got better welds today from the Lincoln Omnia 46 by letting the puddle build up more and using a slower travel speed. Having an extention from the house cooker socket, to the greenhouse, to the garden shed, and then another extension to the welder isn't helping.

12. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

Sounds like me, got my garage with one arc, one mig, then on a flex connected to my workshop I built at the bottom of my garden, 70ft away, connected to my garage supply all on a 13amp plug. Invertor using 3.2mm rods or below is fine won't make any difference as should have power factor correction anyway, ran it like this for years. Only time I popped the rcbo was using 4mm building a welding table from 12mm plate on a cheapo kraft & dele 250amp invertor, that definitely wasn't 250a incidentally. It was to be my tig shed, but I'm obsessed with stick welding. Lol Luckily I know loads if sparks and electrics so a 'c' rcbo was fitted, really should be 'd' for welding and 'b' for domestic and 6ka too, but I'm saying all before part 'p' introduced.

13. David2015 Member

One of my next jobs will be to run a thicker cable direct from the fuse box to my garden shed. I hate daisy chaining extension cables.

14. Mpm welding

Mpm welding Member

I have a long run of swa sat there uncoiled hanging on my shed, all the way to the back of my garage, been there ages ! Need to connect it someday........lol

Advertisements