Anyone tried this Magic

1. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Yeah so i ran out of my brilliant 250ml Big Boy car body filler and decided to buy a 3.5L of body filler by the name of Magic (on ebay) with description Don't let the price fool you - This is a top grade body filler! for 20 squids. Anyway when i come to use the stuff (on car body panels) i found pin holes appearing in the filler once dried. Now i understand this to be air trapped in the the filler during the mixing process or too much hardener added to the mix but not one pin hole appeared when using the whole 250ml of Big Boy car body filler by silverhook over the 3 weeks it lasted using the same amount of harder and the same mixing process as required.

So what could be going on?

2. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

This.

For about the same price you could have got a big ole tub of u-pol smooth 7 or similar.

stuvy and Ruffian like this.
  3. Ruffian Member

Easy one is my go too filler for clag jobs.

4. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Well with the word Magic I was enticed.

I might try U-Pol Smooth seeing as though I do have their hadners and thinners with no complaints. I really am happy with this big boy stuff but they don't have any 3L stuff. If U-POl turns out to be just as bad I can always revert back.

5. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    The one I have seen highly recommended by many on here is Upol Fantastic. Unfortunately I could only ever find it in giant tubs, so I use the Upol stuff from Halfords, then use Dolphin Glaze or Lechler Spat o Rapid for pinholes.

6. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

I will have to try this UPOL Fantastic and the Lechler spat o rapid. Iv noticed even the most experienced spray painters can not fully control the outcome of their paint so these things you mention must be good for prevention or correction. I will give them a try.

7. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Get some 3m glazing putty for the wee holes.

8. MyHouseIsOnFire New Member

Brilliant, this is what iv been looking for! With the wealth of help on this site i am surprised there is no subscription fee. Happy days!!

9. anjum Member

TBH with the upol Fantastic I haven't needed the dolphin glaze, (I bought some and tried it a few times) it's as easy to mix a tiny bit of the upol and fill any imperfections. I've also never got on with stopper either. YMMV.

slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  10. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I use fantastic as well, good stuff. The glazing putty is great for those wee bits and you don’t need to mix it but it doesn’t sand anywhere near as well as fantastic and dries really hard.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. anjum Member

Dolphin glaze is a two part anyway
    It's just a fine grade
    But don't let my experiences stop you trying it out it's just my preference

12. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I have the 3M glazing putty and just comes in a tube. Cures very quickly, ideal for pin holes etc and wee skim areas but anything else better off with a decent filler.

Advertisements