Anyone located near Northwich who would be willing to look at my sip migmate and have a go welding w

1. Matthew Scott New Member

I have a sip handymig migmate which for love nor money I can't get it to produce anything close to a decent weld. I have never really welded and have no idea whether it is user error or faulty / rubbish kit. Thought is if someone is willing to have a go with it and can manage a weld then its me who is a muppet or if they are proficient and can't get a decent weld out of it then I can skip it. I live near Northwich Cheshire.

Any offers?

Matt

2. a111r Member

That's a good idea. Maybe they'll let you try using theirs.
    Hopefully it won't be a SIP, there's about 5000 threads here on their inherent failings...

wacky7791 likes this.
  3. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

add tea/coffeeand biscuts you might tempt some one :laughing:

duncans, slim_boy_fat, a111r and 3 others like this.
  4. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Have a look on the sip section on here, there are various mods to get over inherent problems with these welders. It will never be brilliant, but can be got to work ok. How old is it? The older ones used a plastic liner up the torch, the wire tends to bind up on the plastic & won’t feed properly. If it’s plastic, fit a metal one, or use curtain wire, it fits, this will make the world of difference. Also there is a mod to the wire feed to make it more rigid.

5. Matthew Scott New Member

I've done a few mods. I've stabilised the rollerd by bridging them with a metal support. I've also done the mod to isolate the feed motor supply so I'd doesn't suffer from current drops. The liner is plastic but new. The problem is I'm getting no penetrative. Welds are just globs on the surface that you can knock off with a chisel.

6. a111r Member

With clean metal and a good earth that shouldn't happen.
    Have you tested the open circuit voltages?
    If not, set your meter to 200V DC and connect it between the torch tip and the earth. Press trigger and note the voltages on all of the settings.
    Expected range would be around 15 vdc to 30 vdc.

7. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Good clean connection for the earth clamp?
    Good clean ground surfaces to weld on?
    Gas flowing well enough?
    Wire speed been tried in numerous positions?
    Power on high?

They are pretty weak for much more than sheet metalwork, but a good weld can be put on 2mm steel butt joints etc.

8ob likes this.
  8. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Hi Matthew, probably not your main problem, but the plastic liners are awful, even when new, the resistance pushing the wire through puts a strain on the feed. In my opinion they are not fit for purpose, if you drop the feed roller off, unscrew the tip & pull the wire from the torch there should be virtually no resistance. I was asked to look at a mates Migmate & it took 7 pounds pull to move the wire, this was a virtually unused welder. I changed to a steel one & you could hardly feel any resistance, it transformed the machine. It was the first time it had ever worked properly even from new, my mate was going to skip it!

9. Matthew Scott New Member

I've tested the voltage

Min / 1 26v
    Min / 2 29v
    Max / 1 31v
    Max / 2 34v

a111r likes this.
  10. Matthew Scott New Member

Loosened everything off and I could quite easily pull the wire through with pliers. I don't think that is the problem but if it doesn't end up in a skip I'll buy a metal lined one.

11. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Should pull easily with your pinkies! :laughing:

12. a111r Member

Voltages look OK then.
    Using gas?
    Wire / tip size?
    Photos of your metal and 'welds'?

13. tflnemesis

tflnemesis Member

United Kingdom
    Slightly off topic but when I first set my welder up I was told to set the tension so that a bag of sugar would pull it through at a moderate speed. Guy who told me was a Plater Welder with 40 years at it and it works well for me.

14. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

15. wacky7791

wacky7791 Member

it'll be the SIP, not you. try a different welder bet you get along a lot better with it.

duncans, mike os and a111r like this.
  16. Matthew Scott New Member

Gas CO2 new disbottle

17. Matthew Scott New Member

Sorted it. Blocked gas pip. A bit of the rubber from the seal in the cylinder had come off and had travelled up the pipe.

Picture of weld attached

Now all I have to do is learn to weld

• 20200924_133044.jpg
    duncans, wacky7791, DavidL and 3 others like this.
  18. Matthew Scott New Member

Thank you all for your help

Advertisements