Anyone have a speedglas 9100xxi?

1. Adam Marshall Member

I'm looking for a new helmet for mig and tig I don't fancy buying one for each job. I am looking at the speedglas 9100xxi can anyone recommend this one? I do alot of mig and tig probably 50/50. A good solid reliable helmet is a must not really worried about cost as it is for my business.

2. hotponyshoes Member

They are good and solid.
    The parts that do break are on the shelf from pretty much every dealer in the country.

£ for £ I would say the optrels are better optically which might be an advantage if you do a lot of low amp tig or alloy but the flip-up grind lense on the Fx version might outweigh that for general use.

They are top heavy compared to some others, especially when in grind position but should be easy enough to find a demo to try on.

3. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

I have been buying 9100FXi with adflo air units for our lads in the welding shop for both MIG and TIG.

They are arguably the best units on the market.

The adflo is superb, batteries last forever, it's very durable.
    The 'F' flip-up grinding visor design is the only good one on the market. All the others feel flimsy, cheap and not very comfortable.
    The 'i' true colour screen has brought the lens back up to the top of the game along with esab and optrel etc.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to buy or reccomend them. It's basically an industry standard.

tom2207 likes this.
  4. Adam Marshall Member

Thanks for your opinions i was looking at the optrel also but it doesn't look as rugged as the speedglas. I'd just be getting the normal xxi not the one with the grinding visor although that would be a nice feature.

Munkul likes this.
  5. Munkul

You can't go wrong with them.
    I'd advise getting an adflo unit with it, it's becoming more of a thing especially in other people's workshops etc, and it's to protect your own health :)

I personally have an Esab Sentinel Air, it's a really nice bit of kit, maybe not as durable as a speedglas but for my workshop TIG welding it's great. I wouldn't be without air-fed now, I can put a full shift in with it and still feel fresh at the end.

6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

If you want a helmet that’s lasts get a Speedglas.

If you want to look flashy and sit at a bench staring at a 20A arc all day then get an overpriced optrel. Don’t drop it on the floor though, because it will smash. Remember optrel boast the best optics because they bring out a new helmet every year. Speedglas bring out a new helmet every 5+ years

Munkul likes this.
  7. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

I’ve got an xx, and for the money I can’t really complain. Works every time I use it, no issues other than when tig’ing at low amps at a jaunty angles, sensors don’t always pick up the arc. But mainly used for tig with a bit of mig now and again.
    It is heavier than others and it’s sometimes difficult to keep on your head when welding upside down, but obviously tighten the headgear and it stays put. They’re hard wearing and as said spares are readily available.
    Didn’t want to stretch to the xxi but looking at the time they seem to be even clearer with less of a green filter. If this xx filter stops working then I’ll likely upgrade to an xxi

Brad93 likes this.
  8. Adam Marshall Member

Yes its looking like the xxi for me does anyone know someone with the miller infinity digital? That looks a half decent helmet but I doubt spares are easy to obtain. Rrobson I do a bit off low amp tig now and again that could be a bit of an issue with the xxi.

9. Munkul

It's not an issue with these helmets, it's more related to your technique and your hands blocking the arc, or you not being close enough. It's generally your fault, rather than the helmet.

There's a good reason there aren't many electromagnetic sensing helmets out there other than the Miller - it's because there really isn't any demand for them.

Rrobson likes this.
  10. tom2207 Member

Speedglas are way tougher than they look.

chris pruteanu likes this.
  11. Rrobson

Rrobson Member

This, any helmet not directed towards the arc will behave the same. If your looking straight at it then it works down to low amps great. Failing that you can turn the sensitivity right up and it basically stays dark, really annoying actually because it darkens every time you vaguely glance at any light source.
    Another example of below well they work, normal sensitivity will darken when your grinding a tungsten up, and there’s hardly anything coming off that.

Advertisements