Anybody here with a Pacemaker/CRT-D?

1. Harry_Worth

Harry_Worth Member

Hi all,

Had a fairly crap start to the year, ending up in A&E. To cut a long story short I now have a CRT-D installed in me. I would have said a Pacemaker but the Cardiologist kept correcting me - It's a Cardiac Resynchronisation and Therapy - Defibrillator. I'm struggling to get categoric info on restrictions. Mostly it's anecdotal 'don't try this at home'. My cardiologist said go ahead and I then had to explain what a mig welder was and then he conceded he didn't know. I've tried contacting the manufacturer, Boston Scientific (no, not the robot people) and have had no success finding anyone technical. The only info I've had is, don't weld in the wet, keep earth clamp near the point of welding, don't pulse the welder (knackered then for thin stuff) and keep to a distance of 24" when welding. I've measured my arm and my reach is more like 22". So I'd have to weld with my arm straight/outstretched and even then I've not met the 24" criteria - I'd certainly get some great pigeon droppings with that welding style.

Anybody here weld and have a Pacemaker/CRT-D? Once you have one of these devices is it then the end of your welding days? Anybody here experienced this? ie what happens if you're a professional welder - do you get an apprentice??

Thanks in advance.

johnik likes this.
  2. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

3. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

Hi Harry,
    Just waiting for mine...spose to be a defibrillator pacemaker.....Been told it'll be within 2weeks....
    A good friend sent me an on line info pack about all types.....
    Will send it but have only got an iPad so will send it when I get home.....
    U must question the consultant about welding etc.....
    I've been told with my sort that can’t go near any elec welding at all....plus a loads of other things...u know the Ramps they use in Sainsbury’s to get u upstairs...u shove ur trolley on and the wheel lock...well can’t use them either plus u'll be aware of airport security.....apparently u must carry ur pacemaker I.D.card when traveling abroad
    A, for the air port .....
    B, in case of emergency’s....

As for me I have a 270sq/m workshop to build fairly soon.....so plan on getting a large Jiffy bag, wrapping It about 10 times in ally cooking foil and putting it in a pocket stiched into me welding apron, so as to cover the dam thing....but the other alternative is a lot worse than not welding......hahaha....
    Can't let this stop me life going on tho....
    Also been told that u must tell the DVLA Swansea u have 1fitted.....but as I don’t live there anymore it don't apply to me...but my wife will have to drive me around for 4 months....
    Further if mine give me a whack like a proper defibrillator I cannot drive for a year.....!!!!!!??
    Oh well, life is full of obstacles.....
    Good luck.....Frank

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Harry_Worth

Harry_Worth Member

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for your info. Yes, mines the defrib type which I didn't like the sound of - Kick like a horse but they assured me if I needed it I wouldn't know anything about it. I did ask the consultant but he knew nothing about welding and thought there wasn't a problem until I explained how a MIG worked. Yes, I've advised DVLA so no driving for 6 months. Was just going to put my licence in top drawer for the six months and forget about it. Problem comes if you have an accident after 6 months and it's related to condition, then DVLA twig you didn't notify them.

Luckily I've just completed the welding on my MGBGT so I'm going to take up spraying - I think you're OK with that and a Pacemaker.

Many thanks

Harry

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. frank horton

My wife say's an horse kick up the arse might just get her kitchen finished.....hahaha....
    That’s after I’ve put a new engine in me mower...
    Easy u say, ha, have to modify everything....
    Was a €7,000 Euro mower with a Honda V twin.....eng only available in the States...now Using a 20hp Brigs +Stratton
    Genuine Honda engine imported Is £4,000.....ouch....
    Besides the grass will be clear up to me bottom quite soon.....hahaha....

Again good luck, u had it done now. ?
    How'd it go, be told it could be 90mins on the table.....I’ll need to go to Starbucks afterwards.....hahaha...

Harry_Worth likes this.
  6. Harry_Worth

Harry_Worth Member

Hi Frank,

Yes, all done and as you say, probably took around 90 minutes. My heart's in a weird place, they appear to have gone in up by my left shoulder. 'No work for a few weeks now and because I had a couple of episodes prior to it being implanted I've had to surrender my driving license (six months).

All the best with your procedure and enjoy that Starbucks!!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. frank horton

Hi Harry just got this.....not read it yet.......
    TI-EMI-and-the-Pacemaker-Patient-Rev092012.pdf
    also, British heart foundation regarding pacemaker....
    these came from a concerned friend who also has one....

8. frank horton

sorry Harry the B/Heart foundation won't let me download.....so u'll have to teach it out...
    Frank

Advertisements