Amp setting for metal thickness guide

1. ryan middleton

ryan middleton New Member

Any one got a easy amp setting guide for different thickness of metal or what to search to find one most ones I come up with are for America’s and are a bit complicated looking. Looking for a clear one that I can print out and stick inside the welder door. Thank

2. tom2207 Member

[​IMG]

3. tom2207 Member

there are loads on line , pick one you like , but in a very short time you wont need a guide , you and your welder will bond , and you will just know

mig roughly an amp per thou , same as tig and there are 40 thou to the mm .

close enough to get you going , and not too much gas ,

Shedendman likes this.
  4. ryan middleton

Perfect thanks for that

5. tom2207 Member

its just a guide ,,, have a play , watch a few videos , and you will soon get the feel for what you like.

Shedendman likes this.
  6. ryan middleton

Yeah will just be using the flux core that came with it and order some rods to have a go with need to get the shed sorted b4 getting some gas make some room. :thumbup:

7. tom2207 Member

dont be put off with your results from flux core ,,, its a pita ,,, I cant get results i actually like from flux core , and Ive been gluing tin together for forty years or more ,,,
    remember rtfm ,,,, flux core is a different polarity from gas shielded . dcen , , for flux core which is positive teminal on your welder hooked up to the earth lead , or if its an adjustment inside the lid there will be a diagram , if you dont do that your welding will be even messier ,,

8. ryan middleton

Yeah got that set up waiting on welding helmet coming hopefully tomorrow mite get a play at the weekend if it’s nice weather. Need to be on the hunt for scrap metal to play with b4 ordering up some for making a simple bench for the shed lucky my work has plenty of grinding disc for cleaning my welds up :laughing:

9. tom2207 Member

if you can get a local metal company to chop you up some 2 x 4 bits of plate from their scrap bin , in 1, 2 , 3 mm it will make your life a lot easier too , no point in starting out on something thats tricky for most folk to weld , give your self a fighting chance ,,, make sure you get a pair of gloves too and safety glasses for grinding , and a pair of ear plugs ,,,,,,,, i would also add a packet of digestives to the list.

10. ryan middleton

Yeah got most of the PPE from my work. Yeah going to try one of the places that my work uses see if they have got some I can get will start out making a few of the dices that I’ve seen people making. Thanks for the advice and keep any tips coming much appreciate:thumbup:

11. tom2207 Member

start off making straight lines ,,,, then flat laps , then t fillets , then butts , ,, then dice ,,, its not tricky , but its a tactile skill it just des not click int place in ten mins ,,, a couple of hours will see a lot of progress though .
    if it was easy skilled welders wouldnt be on huge hourly rates , great holidays and amazing bonuses ,,, oh hang on were not lol

12. ryan middleton

Will do. Will get some pics up when I’ve done some make sure they are ok not to hot or Cold etc will get you input.

13. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Every mig i've had has told me a different story on the same bit of metal,in the same position with the same wire gas etc
    All these charts you see are for what they've got for their welder,sure,good for a rough guesstament,then do your tweeks from there and right it down,thats your reference:thumbup:

14. tom2207 Member

I treat any guide as just that , no two machines I use are the same , maybe a recently serviced and calibrated machine with digital control may be, but its just a spin the knob and get a start base line guide we are covering here ,, and of course technique plays its part along side preference , I like to weld hot , some prefer promise welding , but not me ...

ah ,, promise welding ,,,, yes ,,, looks great , but no penetration .

Bbe555 likes this.
  15. tom2207 Member

after a while you wont need any sort of app ,,, just listen ,, the sound will tell you everything you need to know , then your eyes confirm it.
    I can listen to some one welding across the width of a workshop and know exactly what the weld will look like. Most folk who have welded for a while can do the same ,, its like all of this carry on , just practice.

Advertisements