Amp range and machine set up Parweld XTM201i

1. Jamest New Member

So I recently bought my first welder, a Parweld XTM201i, and I'm a little confused by the amp range. I'm almost definitely just unfamiliar with what i'm looking at, but bare with me, totally new to it.

all the websites and spec sheets from Parweld I saw when buying it put the range at 30-200a

[​IMG]

The specs on the back of the machine though, show a wider range for all 3 processes of 10-200a

[​IMG]

When setting up the machine however, the automatic/synergetic settings determined by wire diameter selection start at a minimum of 40a on 0.6mm for the mig function, while both stick and tig do actually start at 10a. I think the final setting is manual, and shows wire speed as m/pm starting at 2.5 but I don't know how that converts relative to amps. This video shows me basically just fiddling with the settings, but I run through the amps/wire speed and diameters here.

Finally, (and I did actually move the welder off the workstation after this what with sparks everywhere, mid set up and keen to make some mess lol) when I actually weld on Mig, the amps drop down to the 10-30a range, but this jumps about during the weld above and below 30a. I'm literally just fiddling with settings and hitting the trigger to see what happens here. (skip to about 30 seconds to avoid camera set up)

My question is basically, what the bottom end on this machine actually is, and how to set the mig up for thin metal like van bodywork at 30a or below. Any clarity greatly appreciated.

2. Jamest New Member

Great thanks, basically all I wanted to know, was confused by the specs and concerned I'd bought something over powered for the jobs I'll be doing

andyinv likes this.
  3. atomant48

atomant48 Member

I’ve got the same machine and glad you’re also struggling with the manual/info! From memory even the parweld website starts talking about a different machine under the 201 section. I kind of thought that bottom setting on the wire diameter was wire speed but could I find it written anywhere ?.!

all that said it is a great machine and does beautiful welds. one thing I notice over my clarke Is how much difference the settings make (ie how accurate they are). A couple amps makes a big difference which gives me confidence it is actually doing something. I’d just try the low end and see what result you get. The number displayed is really just a reference ?

4. andyinv New Member

Hi James

Just bought the same welder 3 days ago, and like you, very disappointed in the manual. Just had a rant at Parweld on Instagram about it in fact, as their manuals just don't look right to me at all. Main complaint would be this:

Material thickness determines weld parameters. 1. Convert Material Thickness to Amperage (A) (0.25mm= 1 Amp) 3.2mm = 125 A​

I stared at that a good while wondering how 0.25 goes into 3.2 125 times.. and I reckon they mean 0.25mm = 10A (I've seen it said 40A per 1mm of steel is a good guidance). Also, there's no mention of the burn-back control in the manual at all.

There's nothing in the manual about the unit of measurement for the wire speed. I did find this useful chart @ Parweld, for a different model mind you, and with thicker wire than the 0.6mm I'm using, but it might be useful: https://www.parweld.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Instructions_XTM252I.pdf.

However, as luck would have it, the welding manager at the place I bought it from is a superb guy, and he offered to swing by the house and give me some tips when his dog was just round the corner having its nails clipped. Within seconds, he put down the tidiest welds I've ever seen, and we were onto different metals and thicknesses before I could note the settings. Some of the things I took away from it tho was:

The burn-back control, I found this video which looks useful but what it does is when you let go of the trigger, it sends a little jolt down the line to burn the wire back a little so it's sticking out of the gun the same distance most of the time (well that's the theory anyway)

In SPL (which yes, is manual), the amperage will be shown when you spark the torch up (which you won't notice of course as you'll be watching the weld pool) - and it will stay there for a few seconds when you stop. So have a quick look to see what that wire-speed of 10 translated to in amps when you release the trigger.

In 0.6mm (synergic mode), you're seeing the amperage - the PDF above has more on that in the chart but bear in mind it starts at .9mm wire diameter for mild steel, so scale accordingly.

His Argoshield 5 (5% co2, 95% argon) left a superb looking weld, and when I went back to co2, it was like night and day.

As you found out, even the slightest tweaks on voltage and wirespeed/amps make quite a difference. Certainly compared to the old Clarke 135TE I used to use which had 4 settings.

I tried to weld some sub-1mm scrap I had lying around, and got it to work on SPL, but looks like I didn't write the settings down. 1mm tho, I had good results just running a bead with SPL settings between 6/12.5 and 9.4/12.0 but I wasn't joining any bits together - just looking on the back for penetration.

And then my co2 bottle ran out. And they're not in stock with the argoshield till Tuesday. Gonna be a long few days... can't wait to get back into this thing, it's a superb bit of kit.

But whoever writes their manuals needs a boot up their backside... it's shocking how they can produce something so good, and cripple it with poor documentation.

For what its worth tho, the manager was telling me that he had been saying to Parweld they really needed a machine in the 200A range, and this one really impressed him. A really experienced guy, knew his stuff inside out - if I can get to be a fraction as good as him, I'll be happy !

(And just remembered, I welded some lugs back on a cast iron wheel yesterday - he reckoned it should be able to do it with co2 - because of the more-heat - and it did. So quite happy with that too!)

atomant48 likes this.
Advertisements