Aluminium shavings wanted

1. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I am looking for a bag or box full of aluminium shavings to add to resin for some turned spheres, if any one can help out. Posted at my cost to Norfolk.

• 9097C37F-F153-458A-9711-5C5C70FC09AC.jpeg
    duncans, JonE, bigegg and 5 others like this.
  2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Wow that looks amazing!

3. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Anyone ?

• 3099F47B-2AED-4667-B734-08F45BE8CD09.jpeg
  4. RichardM Member

Can you elaborate on aluminium shavings? Do you want some lathe swarfe?

5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Yes i think swarf would be ideal, I intend to cast in resin then turn on my lathe as the above images to see what efffect it produces. I will soak in cleaner first to remove contaminants.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

i found brass worked well, if you cant get aluminium.

be warned: if you use "powder", or small pieces, and stir it in, it will settle to bottom before the resin sets.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    I can probably help you as i produce bin fulls of the stuff. The slight problem is due to circumstances I'm pretty much at home at the mo. I will have to pop into my works to make sure all is well at a various points.

I probably have some pics somewhere of the type of swarf. Not all will be suitable due to many different styles of machines tools and cutting tools, but i think i have something that will be perfect off face mills. Short and curly and very shiny.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    The problem is, it's down to you to sort the types if you want a static type :laughing:. There may be layers in the bins of certain types.

IMG_20180717_164633102.jpg IMG_20180806_215809206.jpg IMG_20180910_192235964.jpg

Brad93, Lazurus and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Yes any of the above would be perfect, just the logistics to arrange, please let me know if and when some can be sent it would be much appreciated.

bigegg likes this.
  10. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    As you say the logistics is the problem at the moment as far as i know all post offices are shut. My local is and heard this from other sources also

I think couriers are still operating or some are at least. How much do you think you need? A box say foot square? You will have to wash this stuff in hot soapy water as it will be oil bound or a non oily degreaser or it may not work well.

I'm happy to pack it up and you sort your own courier and send me the labels to attach.

Scott

11. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Yes a box would be good as described I have plenty of acetone for cleaning. Not used on line label thingy any suggestions who to use?

Advertisements