Aluminium Cleaning

1. GeorgiePorgie pre-moderated

Whats good for cleaning Aluminium?

I've had to strip me bike down for welding the frame at two points of its load bearing which has resulted in vibration at higher revs,anyway thought I'd go the whole hog and clean up the engine due to paint flaking off over the years and exposing the Aluminium to the elements oxidisation I think we call it?

So any good cleaners with less effort out there?

Thank yer very kindly.

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Have the elements oxidised or is it oxidation or is it really oxidisation :D ? Anyway, I've found there is no easy answer and all the processes involve abrasives, a lot of work and getting dirty. Paint is the easiest answer. I did the forks on my bike when the anodising became pitted and it was a long tedious job working through grits down from 240 to 800 then polishing with metal polish such as Solvol Autosol or Peek.

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

sandblast it if re painting and if leaving bare bead blast afterwards

• 008.JPG
    • 011.JPG
  4. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Tiger cub brightspark ?

5. awemawson Forum Supporter

Caustic soda dip was always the way with heads and engine blocks in my day, but don't do it for too long as it slowly dissolves the aluminium !

6. GeorgiePorgie pre-moderated

:laughing::laughing:

That much I do know from a guy 12 years ago?

When I was doing a bit of training as a mechanic,a trainee asked the instructor what was the best way to bring the aluminium back to original on his motorbike engine,the instructor said soak it in a weak solution of caustic soda......he did this and a week later he found a mass of aluminium in the galavanised bucket.

Tis ovious were he misinterpreted the instructors explanation. :D

No sandblasting equipment,Brighty.

I guess its a bit elbow grease then.:( I have brass wirewheel brushes will these scratch the ally?

7. langy

langy langys rodshop

I like to get aluminium Vapour blasted, leaves a very nice finish and not dear.

8. brightspark

brightspark Member

yep its me mates . he comes round a few times a year with various projects to clean . last month it was a montessa engine

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

its the same as beadblasting using a suction gun . same media mixed as a slurry with water and lifted at the nozzle with compressed air .slightly better finish than a dry dusting over ;)

10. langy

langy langys rodshop

Yeah i know, as you said better finish

Advertisements