Aluminium boat project

1. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

For some time I've had it in the back of my mind that one day I'd like to make myself a boat. There is a marina out the back of my work and I've been surrounded by boats all my life but I've never owned one.
    I spend all day fixing, renting or selling welders but never really get to use them to create something I can stand back and be proud of, so at some point im going to buy the CNC cutting files and plans and knock up a boat to use for towing donuts, water skiers and maybe the odd bit of fishing.
    Ok, it would be cheaper and less hassle to buy a fibreglass boat but where's the sense of achievement in that?
    So I've bought a very comprehensive book on aluminium boat building for the home builder or small shop and I'm learning about lofting and designing for developable plate hull shapes which is quite tricky. You don't need to know this stuff to build from a kit with plans but I find it interesting and my Dad was a shipwright so he's giving me pointers.
    It's going to be a while before I get around to making this thing, I've got a lot of projects at work and home clamouring for my time but this is an itch I've wanted to scratch for years.
    Just as a thing to do to keep my hand in (I don't actually get to weld that much on a daily basis) I've started messing around drawing out a few hull shapes and cutting bits of old sheet out and sticking them together to get a feel for the curves and shapes and see how they all fit by making a small scale version.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here it is after welding and cleaning up a bit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here's the transom, I may alter it and make provision for a delta pad but this is it for now, might make a nice model when it's done, it's just nice to be making something for a change rather than fixing other people's sets so they can.

image.jpg

arthur, norlander and eSCHEn like this.
  2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

I had an ali boat once, it was about 5 metres and was great to launch being so light, also easy to push along, a 15hp Mercury outboard gave it a fair turn of speed.

But: It was a sod in any breeze at all, used to swing around at anchor like a tethered kite, no weight and sat on the water instead of in it, we got sick of it eventually and bought an Orkney Longliner, a fantastic boat all round.

3. Kent

Kent Member

Something I plan on doing myself I have some plans for an American Bass boat here but sort of fancy something better able to handle the sea in the Morecambe bay area with a centre console ( maybe I start small though with a Duck boat. Keep us updated eh?

4. Kent

Kent Member

Longliners are cracking boats, I had one myself for a while but heavy and a displacement hull which is very limiting on were you can take it if you go out too far you will be stuck out on the sand waiting of the next incoming tide :laughing:

5. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Nice to have a plan in mind and the determination to carry it through, Model is looking good, so I'm sure the real one will give you lots of pleasure. What size will the full size one be? and what gauge ally will you use?

6. Jim Davey

Low weight isn't too much of an issue with a speedboat, plus you can take advantage of the low weight and have a deeper vee while still getting on the plane at relatively low speeds without silly horsepower.

7. Jim Davey

Depends on the plans I can get, I've been offered plans for a 7.5 metre hull but that's more than I wanted really. It's got to be trailerable and I haven't got the room for a boat that size. But if I can scale down the plans and make a 5.5-6 metre boat I'd be happy.
    Hull plate is 4mm and sides would be 3mm, transom would need some thicker sections depending on propulsion type, internal bulkheads and longitudinal stringers would be 4-5mm.

moggywelder likes this.
  8. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Sounds like you are half way there, with it figured out in your head, look forward to updates jim.

9. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    While in the design stage it would be a good idea to think about engine type. If I was doing this to use as a ski boat then I think a turbo diesel would be a good idea. There's plenty of car engines nowadays that could give the required power with the benefit of being able to run on red diesel so will save a fortune on fuel.

10. Kent

Kent Member

Quite correct Jim they sit up like Barbra Woodhouse's dog! my mate has a USA import that actually planes on 15 horses ?I think? Took it fishing in the lake district and putting it in an out convinced me about Ali boats

11. Jim Davey

I know a diesel makes sense, but I keep hankering for a V8 before petrol goes from extortionate to diabolically priced.
    With a jet drive to make it really inefficient ;)

12. KemppiFrog Member

We have a light 13ft jonboat. Made by Chrysler and the seams are rivited, not welded. Very handy for the river with a 4hp outboard. When I say light, I can easily pick it up. I would be inclined to get a design from an established designer, doing your own is very satisfying, but only if you get it right and there is a lot involved. ( old man was a designer )

13. Jim Davey

Oh I have no intention of doing my own design. Creating the best shape for a boat hull is a black art, I just want to put the thing together.

14. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    Chuck the VW twin turbo V10 TDI in it .Over 300 hp !!

15. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

this seems to be a common build converting old jet ski into jon boats a lot more videos on the tube a lot cheaper than buying outboards etc

16. Jim Davey

I've got an old jetski :)

Two in fact.

17. Rrunnach

Rrunnach www.interventiontechnolog y.com

While back, the caring government at the time removed diesel powered boat owners the luxury of using red diesel. Anything other than white, is illegal if caught out.

Even further back, we trialed what was basically an alloy RHIB, sponsons all rolled, Oz or NZ build, it was the mutts nuts.

What grade alloy you proposing to use? Good luck when you get project moving forward.

18. Kent

Kent Member

the American plans I have for the Bass boat stipulate 5052 H32, if its of use ( I honestly haven't got much of a clue and should be lead only by the experts in the field or by designers plans)

19. KemppiFrog Member

Fuel consumption might be a factor with those:o Guys in New England built a light verson of a lobster boat and used a JetSki unit. Worked very well, but fuel is a bit cheaper there.

20. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Maybe one of these would be sufficient !
    image.jpg
    It's only 550hp but it's a start.

Advertisements