Aldi auto-darkening masks - any good?

1. thenorthwind New Member

Saw Aldi have some auto-darkening masks at £23. Very tempted to pick up one as a spare at that price, but assume they can't possibly be any good. Anyone taken a punt on one?

2. Richiew Forum Supporter

I have one of their previous offerings. Nothing wrong with it really. No worse than anything you can get on ebay.

edit.

If you buy it as a spare, try and use it on a semi regular basis. In my experience all my cheap lids have died during extended barren spells.

3. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

If it anything like the Lidl one, it's great for your money, but I take the batteries out when I've finished using it. I like having a mask with triple A's as opposed to a sealed for life unit.

4. vmaximus Member

Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, U.K.
    Bought one a couple of years ago, it doesn't get used very often but it is ok when i do. For the price i can't fault it.

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I bought the SWP mask from weldequip years ago and when the unit in it stopped working I got one on amazon with replaceable batteries and fitted it into the SWP mask. It was £10 and looks like the one used in the Aldi version with two CR2032 batteries. I put new batteries in it this year when it started flickering and it's been fine. It has grinding function which my old one didn't have.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. thenorthwind New Member

Interesting, thanks. Sounds like it's worth a wander down to my local shop to pick one up.

7. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

Their mince pies are half decent while you're there.

zx9, Hopefuldave, Mr Roo and 2 others like this.
  8. thenorthwind New Member

:laughing: I bought some of the sloe gin ones last time I was in but haven't tried them yet.

Nipped in for a hood. Only 3 left. Forgot we were only meant to be shopping for essentials, so bought some beer as well :D Will have a closer look later. At the hood. And maybe the beer. Definitely the mince pies.

tom2207, Mr Roo and slim_boy_fat like this.
  9. thenorthwind New Member

Well it's going back. Has adjustable darkening 9-13 (with grind switch) and looking at a bright torch, the darkening varies. But doing fairly low amp TIG (70-80A) there's so little darkening it's hurting my eyes, even on 13. That's not right. My old (fixed darkness) mask is noticeably darker.

tom2207 likes this.
  10. OJCar Member

Just bought one.
    Yet to weld with it.
    They DO NOT have replaceable batteries. :(

11. thenorthwind New Member

True, though neither does my old cheap one AFAIK. Occasionally need to leave it somewhere lighter than the garage to recharge it, but it's at least 6 years old now and the batteries still seem fine. I guess they'll die eventually, but the lens must use a minute amount of power.

12. OJCar Member

Hopefuldave likes this.
  13. h-dom Member

I use the Aldi one occasionally and find it's plenty dark enough

14. OJCar Member

15. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

There were two types originally, one of which is linked above. The other one had more angular features and needs 2 AAA batteries

hermetic and tom2207 like this.
  16. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Its not a similar design to the 3M/Speedglas ones is it - pop the unit out of the mask, and there are two little "drawers" top right and left that can be levered out with a small flat screwdriver to change the batteries?

OJCar likes this.
  17. OJCar Member

^ Just double checked - sadly no little "drawers"

Never mind, it'll just teach me not to believe things on their website.

18. Kayos

Kayos Member

I bought a lidl one with flames on the side

Does a job but its the same as all cheap lids, screen is a bit on the small side, not bad for bench work but a pain when crawling under land rovers. No longer have that problem though

Advertisements