Alaska 500 rebuild

1. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

Well the nice wee Alaska fishing boat I have run for the last 10 years has reached the stage when a rebuild of everything is due.
    [​IMG]

I posted a while back that I could not get the gearbox separated from the leg on its Suzuki DF50 outboard and finally decided to make a tool to aid removal. After picking up a cheapish second hand gearbox to allow a rebuild:
    [​IMG]
    The splined driveshaft that is sticking up engages with the bottom of the crankshaft has seized.

I fabricated a tool of wood and 2mm sheet steel formed round it to get some purchase to try to hammer it off after giving up with wedges and already damaging the old gearbox fins.:
    [​IMG]

Next stage was to take the boat home, so I got my brother to take the hubs off the trailer, he brought them to me so I could replace the bearings with new -just as well as both inner bearings were badly corroded and ready to fail. (The trailer has not been on the road for a few years, just used as a launching trailer).

So I nipped down to fit the new hubs to bring the boat home behind my Defender, just 16 miles of mainly single track roads. As soon as I lowered the axle off the axle stands I could see large chunks of rust dropping off the axle ( the only non galvanised part of the trailer), so out with the hammer which easily went straight through the box section!

It was an old bunked trailer that I had added rollers too, so has never been great: the boat sits very high from the water, while the rear axle is leaf spring mounted. This means having to put the launching vehicle deeper into the water to launch/retrieve.

So asked around and managed to pick up a tatty newer indespension trailer needing refurbished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It has good tyres, new wheel bearings, is rated for the boat, much lower with a pivoting rear beam axle, but -brakes removed, all fasteners quite corroded, mudguards wrecked, winch dodgy, rollers rusty and could do with more front rollers.
    Lucky I had 2 complete new spare rear roller assemblies and have purchased new galvanised bolts and u bolts for every fastener, new jockey wheel, a £12 good second hand winch, new winch strap, stainless washers for the rollers and stainless split pins. I also bought a tin of Zinga galvanising paint for touching up plus I will experiment with POR15 again on the wheels with silver top coat.
    [​IMG]
    A spare braked coupler came with the trailer, so just cables and brake kit to buy once i strip the hubs.

A new set of galvanised mudguards are in the post too.

As some of you will know I have had a recent health issue, such that I am not currently able to walk, so I will now start supervising my non-mechanical brother to do the rebuild, including straightening the mudguard brackets on the hydraulic press.

So stage 1 is the trailer rebuild - I will upgrade some extra rollers then get the boat on the good trailer so I can get it home to start the engine strip.

I am hopeful that there will be some money to be freed from the old trailer, but the cost of replacing the axle with a galvanised braked one would be more than I have spent sorting out this better trailer.

So I will continue the thread when the trailer is rebuilt.

The boat does not need a lot of work depending on how I get on repairing the engine: upgrade the wiring, a new battery and a new cover made.

Sorry no welding (I hope in this thread)

Migmac, 8ob, mpats and 9 others like this.
  2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I'd hate to be an outboard engine mechanic...all that corroded ally.....must be a pain....
    I hope ur fit and healthy soon.....hate watching other people doing my jobs....

maxiboy and Rannsachair like this.
  3. More Amps Member

Just don't let your supervision of non-mechanical brother become "No! not like that...here, let me show you how to do it properly" (and before you know it, your "apprentice" is sitting in the comfy chair while you grapple with all the bits that don't quite fit as they should) It's very difficult to watch someone doing something wrong and not be overcome by a desire to sort it yourself (especially when you've told them several times the right way of doing it) Your most important job right now is to recover, and then get back to the projects!

stuvy, Shox Dr, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  4. Rannsachair

I know, though I would like to see my brother pick up more skills, I think he regrets never spending time in the garage with my mechanic dad like I did when we were kids. He has shocked me at how he has come on in the last 3 years (almost 30 years working in Tesco stacking the shelves - though did an HND in biomedical science that he could never get a job in). He started working on the Crinan Canal beside me as a lock keeper, they taught him basics of strimming, grass cutting etc so he started up as a self employed gardener and he has taken to it like a duck to water, he is now building fences, laying patios and remodeling gardens. He has a great reputation locally -he is a grafter and more sociable than me and always takes advice when trying something new.

So this could be the making of him, doing his first mechanical project, hard as it will be for me to sit back.

5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Remember Milton's words..."They also serve who only stand and wait" ;) :D

Rannsachair and More Amps like this.
  6. Rannsachair

A pair of galvanised mudguards arrived today, look ok:

[​IMG]
    13" Falcon under £50 a pair delivered, will certainly tidy the trailer up.Hope I never went too cheap.

7. Rannsachair

Been getting a bit of work done on the trailer, my brother made a start so I have been doing the odd 20 minute session, my new Bosch 18v cordless grinder is great for cutting off the rusty u-bolts and bolts.

The £12 hand winch has been striped, de-rusted, painted with Zinga, greased and a new strap fitted.
    All the old rollers removed from the trailer - most were seized with rust, all brackets wire brushed and painted with Zinga.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just cleaning up the roller shafts then back to replacing u bolts, straightening the mudguard brackets and fitting the new mudguards.

The trailer will be used 99% as a launching trolley plus at least one trip of 16 miles to my house on single track roads. The boat engine ways 100 Kg and the boat 450 Kg, so am thinking I do not need to reinstate the brakes, it will be towed by my Defender. If I do not do the brakes, it has new hub bearings, so just a clean up of the wheels and hubs and then paint.

8. More Amps Member

I'm confident it'll be making plenty of other trailer-owners jealous by the time you're done with it!

Rannsachair likes this.
  9. Rannsachair

New jockey wheel, better hitch and refurbished winch with new strap fitted today:
    [​IMG]

10. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

As you are Fisher men ....

Does anyone know how I apply for a hobby crab / lobster licence?

I enjoy deep sea fishing as a laugh , few cans and to waste a few hours fishing away .

I hate eating fish (which is the irony ) and if I'm booking a boat for sea fishing for 10 hrs , I may as well throw a pot out .

I know a hobby license allows me 2 lobsters , 10 crab every trip (twice a year for me ) is it complex/expensive to apply for ??

Why not if I'm out their

Regards

Malc

11. Rannsachair

No license required in Scotland for hobby fishermen: https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/marine/Sea-Fisheries/InshoreFisheries/unlicensed

slim_boy_fat and HopefullySoon like this.
  12. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

The origional trailer seems to have more rollers and therefore more hull support than the new one. Not really a fan oollers mysef, seen a few holed over bumpy roads, when I were a lad. Prefer the carpet trailer concept, where the keel sits on a carpet covered boad, for better load distribution, and runners or rails each side too.

13. Rannsachair

The original trailer was bunked, but to get the boat on the trailer depending on the tide I had to drive the car well into the water to get the boat to float on as there is a shallow gradient. I converted it to a roller coaster that meant i could winch the boat onto the trailer even in shallow water.

I am adding rollers to the new trailer, which will help, I have had a few rollercoasters and bigger/heavier boats with no issues. Fortunately I rarely tow on the road.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. hotponyshoes Member

Unless you are motoring out far enough to hit international waters I think local bylaws apply, along the south coast at least.
    I have not got as far as making a pot yet, did have a quick look at licensing, it was either free or a small charge to get the tags that go on the pot.
    I know the local rules vary, if we got out of the harbour and turn right into Devon its 4 pots but only 2 lobsters and 4 crab per 24hr or something turn left into Dorset and it's 2 pots but no limit on catch.

That's an example, I don't remember exactly but I know it varies so check the website for the authority in your area

HopefullySoon likes this.
  15. Rannsachair

I am dead slow and stop with my chemo therapy and being back on 2 walking sticks as my right knee keeps collapsing on me, not been out for quite a few days,so finally greased up and refitted all the rollers ( turned down in lathe to remove rust or wire brushed, dipped in evaporust then painted with Zinga) today with stainless washers and split pins, a few more u-bolts, wheels and mudguards just left to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New engine on order and about to order a new hood for the boat, so will be looking good for next season.

16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    looks like you are making good progress on that trailer. nice save. It also looks like your weather has turned similar to ours in the states....we finally got all that rain we had been needing...not sure we needed the cold temps yet, though!

JP

slim_boy_fat and Rannsachair like this.
  17. Rannsachair

Trailer has been really slow progress, i have been in a wheelchair a fair bit, but still able to straighten the mudguard brackets in the press, new bolts all round, wire brush then zinga on any chassis areas showing rust staining and the wheels wire brushed then por15 and por15 topcoat. New mudguards make a difference.

Doing 20 mins a day max it has taken an age as my brother has been much busier than he expected building fences and doing slabs and gravelling drives so left to me as usual.....was getting dark when I finished it today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Rannsachair

Better daylight pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dcal, jpmillermatic and eSCHEn like this.
  19. Rannsachair

My brother set the trailer up and got the boat on. New engine due to be delivered shortly as is a new hood, just redo the antifoul and a few more wee jobs and it will be ready for the water. The boat has sat for a year not getting used between its faults and my health, sad not to get used and looking sorry for itself.
    [​IMG]

Migmac, RonMig, slim_boy_fat and 4 others like this.
  20. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Nice, my FIL used have a Shetland.

Advertisements