Ajax pillar drill Type B-16L

1. Paul Narramore New Member

I have this old Ajax pillar drill Type B-16L which has been gaining dust for a few years. Now cleaned up and painted, I should try to get it going. So my questions. There is no wiring or cable from the side of the motor forwards to the missing on-off switch. I have bought a suitable on-off switch and shall mount this to the side of the drill assembly but images in Google show it should be connected to a tin box (junction box?) immediately behind this. Is that what this box does? Is it simply a junction box? What gauge and type of cable should I use? Rubber insulated? I should attach images of my drill but I cannot transfer images from my phone to my lap top. Thanks.

2. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

email them to yourself

Memmeddu likes this.
  3. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Or use the phone to write on the forum

4. Agroshield Member

If you cannot post images, at least post a link to the images you have found.

There is one here that looks like what you are talking about:

https://res.cloudinary.com/bidlogix/image/upload/q_70,c_fill/v1459941818/bdx/11118_skbphy.jpg

The box is just an easy mount for the switch and a junction box as you say. Mains cable goes into box and then into switch. Other cable comes out of switch and heads toward motor. 2.5mm2 three core H05RN-F cable will be OK without breaking the bank. PVC cable would also do as it does not need the flexibility of the cord on a portable tool like an angle grinder. Use glands or grommets on input and output of junction box.

5. Paul Narramore New Member

Thank you. Today I mounted the isolating switch against the side of the drill and wired it to the motor and 3-pin plug using some heavy duty flex. And it works! Now all I have to do is to fit the pulleys and locate a suitable v-belt of the correct size.

slim_boy_fat and Memmeddu like this.
  6. James1979 Forum Supporter

I have one if you need measurements. I have the manual too. Somewhere.

7. Henrik Member

Oh, I have one of these too - get some photos up :)

Mine's in a right dirty state, but it works well for drilling and is happy even with 16mm drills in steel.

James1979 likes this.
  8. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

I think they are pretty generic and badged up all sorts of names, mine is badged J&L Kennametal made in Taiwan, about 20 years old, but have seen them badged other names, the attached Draper manual D16 is exactly the same as mine. Its a very nice capable quiet drill.

IMG_1214.jpg

9. Paul Narramore New Member

The Ajax pillar drill is now up and running now but only after a few glitches. Right, the v-belt. I bought mine from www.machine-spares.net which cost a whopping £26.48; and identical belt on eBay cost a tenth of that. It was a Dunlop A-44 by the way. I could have put a length of string between the pulleys but I might then have bought a belt one size too small or large. Anyway I bit the bullet. The front pulley/shaft didn't have a short length of key steel in the keyway. I bought a very short length of 5mm key steel. Trying to line up the front and back pulleys, the back one was too high. I found that the mounting plate had another set of holes so I could mount the motor even lower and at the correct height. By the way, the electric motor is massively heavy and it was almost impossible to remount it onto the mounting plate AND fit the screws. Then I dropped the motor, fortunately onto a cardboard box and not my foot. Once mounted I found the shear weight of the motor meant it wasn't truly vertical so a wooden wedge driven between motor and vertical shaft corrected that. So now, for the first time in years, it's running smoothly and correctly. So v-belt, key steel, isolating switch, derusting and paint plus the cost of the old drill, about £100 in total and I am dead pleased.

cr500dom likes this.
  10. Paul Narramore New Member

Yes, I've emailed it to myself but this forum requires an URL for the image and I've no idea where that can be found.

Memmeddu likes this.
  11. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Copy the pic(s) from the email to your pc 'My Pictures' folder, then when you write your report click on the 'upload a file' button bottom right of the page. A dialogue box will appear where you can select the required image, click on the 'open' button and your pic should appear where the cursor is in your post.

Advertisements