air line connectors

1. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

I have piped up my home workshop and machine room, 1/2" steel pipe, looking at high flow 1/2" bsp airline connectors and have got completely confused, looking on ebay there seem to be 20 different types, 14 through to 60? I have lots of the std pcl type, well used, but they are all a bit worn out and I don't want air leaking out everywhere, what do I want to be looking at? Lidle was mentioned but I have looked a few times and nothing in my local recently,

2. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

The Euro Connector, also known as PCL XF and other names, will flow twice as much as the standard traditional PCL.
    The Euro / XF is generally what's found on Aldidly air tools if they come fitted with a connector. If Aldidl sell a pack of connectors it's (as far as I've seen) always Euro.

Memmeddu and Yamhon like this.
  3. MetalMonkey Member

PCL XF (Rectus 25/26) fittings are what you want - last time I checked screwfix was actually quite competitive on price on some of them, places like context pneumatics and air supplies for the rest. Keep an eye out on ebay for good brand regulators, often get new old stock ones for a fraction of the RRP. Lever ball valves at the low points to drain water is also a good idea.

Memmeddu and Yamhon like this.
  4. reedx

reedx Member

Agree with the two previous comments, get genuine PCL XF fittings. Reasonably priced from Screwfix.

Colin

5. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

ok, will take a look, lower drain taps already installed, and a tank to act as a cooler / water trap, maybe, we shall see, would post pictures but I have a "new" computer and my old files are on an external drive, now all I need to work out is...……...

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The problem is Screwfix only do 1/4bsp fitting. PCL do make PCL XF in 1/4,3/8 and 1/2. I've got a 1/2" on the end of one of my hoses. The reality is you won't gain any extra flow using a 1/2 bsp as it the coupling that governs the flow. The through hole on a PCL XF is the same whether it's 1/4,3/8 or 1/2.

You need to weigh the extra cost involved in ordering a 1/2 over buying a 1/4 from Screwfix and an adapter. I got my 1/2 one from Zoro, added it to a 20% off order.

Memmeddu likes this.
  7. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I find that cheap non genuine PCL/Norgren couplings don't last long... They wear very quickly and start leaking.

PCL or Norgren only, for me.

I wish we'd went down the XF standard years ago but unfortunately we have standard PCL connectors on quite a lot of gear, and can't justify the cost to change :(

Memmeddu and Nick DV like this.
  9. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Maybe, but for the usage my air tools get in my workshop at home, I'm sure these will not wear out that quickly! Only time will tell...…………. :dontknow:

10. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Every so often in Laldi or is it Aldidl, 4 way manifolds come up in the centre aisle, 1 male to 4 female sockets at £3ish, all PCL/euro compatible, 1/4 BSP threaded can’t better that price & seem reasonable quality.

Farside and Nick DV like this.
  11. Patrick Gill

Patrick Gill Member

maybe I should do what I used to say to my apprentices when they started in the workshop, buy half decent but cheap spanner and socket sets, replace the ones that wear out with better quality or if you buy a second of a given size buy a better quality, you don't need a 27mm snap on ring spanner sitting there gathering dust, I could do the same with the fittings,
    I put double240v sockets all around the workshop, like every five feet, some will never get used, put metal MK over the benches, el cheapo when the MK ran out, sounds like a plan!

Advertisements