Air intake filter for IR type 30

1. Wildefalcon Member

I've an older Ingersoll Rand type 30 compressor, which needs a new air filter.

The new filter will cost about £20 including postage and vat. It's the felt pad type and it takes 3.

Is it possible to replace the filter housing with a canister type filter, that takes cheaper filters?

It's the same thread as my Clarke compressor, but I can't find a source for the housing on line.

• IMG_20200830_194446.jpg
  2. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

3. 87GTA

87GTA Member

Fife, Scotland
    Give Clarke Service a call on 020 8988 7400 give them the model number of your clarke compressor and ask for a price for an air intake filter assembly
    They're not expensive, its been a year or two since I bought one but the housing was around £6 without filter at that time.

4. Wildefalcon Member

That's very reasonable, I'll do that.

5. 87GTA

87GTA Member

Fife, Scotland
    I can't remember if it was the round type housing like yours or the smaller rectangular one I ordered as it was little time ago but worth calling them as always found their prices for most parts are pretty reasonable.

6. metalmelt Member

I did something similar several years ago, I got a 4X4 filter housing from a popular model and adapted it from the 100mm outlet to the 1 1/2 BSP for my compressor, filters £3 each plus VAT so I got a box of 25 filters and found they last so much longer than the traditional compressor filters and they give a better filtration.

frank horton likes this.
  7. Wildefalcon Member

Brilliant plan. I think the standard filter will do for me, as the air supply is clean, but I like the thinking.

metalmelt likes this.
  8. colnerov

colnerov Member

Hi, I did similar, it also reduces the noise level as well.

Colin

metalmelt likes this.
  9. wyn

wyn Member

I used a filter from Halfords on my IR 30
    It's still working ok after 10 years

DSC00385.JPG

8ob, metalmelt and roblane65 like this.
  10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

a111r likes this.
  11. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Didn’t someone on here fit a car oil filter?

12. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I used an air cleaner off a diesel quad I had kicking about.

The filter elements last for ever, are cheap, have less air resistance and best of all are much quieter than the standard felt jobby.
    An air cleaner off any engine will be better than what is supplied because part of their purpose is to reduce induction noise. (Unless it's the boy racer type @wyn used :laughing:)

IMG_2634.JPG

13. Wildefalcon Member

I have to admit, I'm lazy: I just want a simple cheap filter I can fit and forget.

I could repurpose a car filter box, but it would be messing about with adapters, and brackets. It's going to live in a separate room, I won't hear it, so as long as it stops the spiders from being compressed, I'm happy.

I'll phone Clarke on Monday, unless they are trying to mug me, I'll buy from them.

14. dannyp Member

i wound an new old stock oil filters on mine, the small one has filters off some car the type 30 i think has a hydralic return filter on it

15. Wildefalcon Member

I've ordered a new housing from Clarke/ MM.

Less than £40 including two filters. The only problem is that they're not in stock, and the delivery is very overdue!

I can wait, I've the workshop to plumb for air in the meantime.

16. MattH

MattH Member

Wow, bet that gives you at least another 15BHP! :D

wyn and Dcal like this.
  17. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

And I bet she sounds like she has twin 40 side drafts.

MattH likes this.
  18. melle Member

They work great on small compressors, not sure if they have enough surface area for bigger ones.

This is one of my direct drive compressors that I've tapped for a 3/8" BSP fitting, and I use an AN8 (thread is the same as 3/4" UNF) adapter for the filter. I use the cheapest 3/4" UNF (which is a very common thread for oil filters) filters I can get.

[​IMG]

Wildefalcon likes this.
Advertisements