Advice on TecArc 181 welder

1. Blackwreck New Member

Hi, I am new to welding, having done a few hours at a local college and bought a second hand TecArc 181. I wanted to fit a new torch/conduit to the welder and track down a user manual if possible. I have tried contacting TecArc directly with no joy. Would anyone recommend a torch and where I can access a manual? Thanks

2. mdr

mdr Collector of welding machines

Welcome! :waving: (even though you joined in 2016!)

I'm sure someone will be along to offer better advice. However, from reading about this make (and the reading threads on Portamig, Oxford, and Tec-Arc - I think they are all one and the same-ish)... there isn't really a manual. If there is (I cannot find one) it's not worth the hunt. Maybe it's not full of circuit diagrams and a font of information.

I did find this video...

If I were you I'd email/ring their sales about a new gun from their manual (top of page 33)...

https://technicalarc.co.uk/TECARC 2017-2019.pdf

...and if/when their sales team replies (buying something should get a better reply than a technical issue/customer service), bring up the question of a manual.

https://technicalarc.co.uk/contact/

3. Blackwreck New Member

Hi Thanks for the help, video and the welcome. Everything takes me a while! Have tried Technical Arc sales a couple of times but will keep doing so. In different times I would go over to their base as they are not far from me. Thanks again

4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

What poor service, the person wants a USER manual not service info.at least suggest a reseller
    Again poor service, short sighted sales & service! that reply will not encourage @Blackwreck to purchase another TA machine & he may also mention to others the lack of interest.

While munching my cornflakes I watch morning TV & read paper the No of companies that cost themselves untold loss by not addressing simple low cost requests never ceases to amaze me.
    Of to V pub now

5. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

If the manual is anything like their Tig and Plasma manuals it will be very basic. Sadly contacting them is a hit and miss at the best of times. Sometimes you get a response, sometimes you don't. Sad really but...

6. Richiew Forum Supporter

Any use? The Portamig 185 and the Tec Arc 181 are the same thing I believe other than a different colour paint job.
    Manual is pretty useless as explained already but I can send some images if you like?
    upload_2020-10-26_21-49-52.jpeg

7. Wallace

Wallace Member

What seems to be the problem with the torch?

8. Blackwreck New Member

Hi
    Thanks everyone! Was disappointed not to get a reply from Tec Arc. Have pasted my email(s) to them below out of interest, emailed both sales and service depts. No joy on phone calls either. I bought the welder from a friend of a friend (bereavement) and it was well looked after but the conduit(?) and torch plus any instructions were not with it and I wasn't going to ask any more of them. So, I am novice, with what seems a great bit of kit to learn with, loads of projects to crack on with after practice, and wanted some guidance on which knobs to turn press etc, how to load up wire into torch etc. Happy to try youtube, learnt lots that way on other things and thanks for video suggestions etc. To find out it is similar to Portamig is really helpful too thanks Richiew- would appreciate images, thanks, and I guess the message on the front of the user manual sums up my position......" Caution before installing or operating this machine ensure all instructions and warnings have been read and understood" Will try ringing again:laughing:

Hi
    I am a novice hobby welder, working on car body panels, landrover and trailer chassis and possibly welding up scaffold tube etc.
    I have recently acquired a TECARC 181 Compact welder secondhand without its torch and the conduit/lead from the machine? I wondered if you could recommend a suitable replacement please?
    The machine serial number appears to be TA021636249. If it was possible to access a user manual for this machine that would also be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much,

9. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

10. Blackwreck New Member

Thanks, that's helpful. By conduit/lead I meant the connection between welder and torch as seen some torches without this. I've got the earth lead thanks. Thank good ness for forums like this and youtube :thumbup:

11. Richiew Forum Supporter

Just to show you're not missing anything.

upload_2020-10-27_18-49-46.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-50-2.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-50-21.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-50-56.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-51-12.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-51-27.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-51-43.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-51-58.jpeg

upload_2020-10-27_18-52-11.jpeg

Hood likes this.
  12. Blackwreck New Member

Thanks very much for this. It gives me the basics to get started, thanks

13. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

If you don't find much luck with the above drop me a PM with your email address and I'll get one sent over and I'll speak to Richard, their MD, about giving the office staff a slap ont wrist for ignoring your requests.
    Customer service should always be king, especially when we're trying to encourage purchasing from British manufacturers.

Bobo and Wallace like this.
Advertisements