Advice on MIG (and TIG) welder

1. metalmelt Member

We tried the multi process machines and the main issue was if one process failed then often the other did to, if you are MIG welding and run out of wire or gas foe example, you can switch to stick to finish the job but if you lose both functions on the same machine then its game over and a job not finished.

Jay1st likes this.
  2. Tom Mooijman Member

I am supposed to go take a look/pick it up tomorrow. But I'm having some doubts, the guy selling it is selling it for someone else so he has no knowledge on the welder. And the welder comes without the leads and there is no opportunity to test it. Sounds a little strange to me.. any thoughts?
    Here's the link to the advertisement:
    https://link.marktplaats.nl/m157629...ium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

3. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

It's common if it's a site clearance or bankruptcy sale, that the seller will have no knowlege and no means to test it. It's not cause for concern directly, but...

I wouldn't buy it unless it had an explicit wording of the sale "working condition" and means to return for refund if it isn't, once you do get around to testing it out.

I hope it has the interconnect cable between the XMT and the 44 feeder? If not, it's not the end of the world, but it means having to buy some multicore cable, some amphenol 14pin plugs, some water hoses and fittings, as well as welding cable and ends... it's just hassle you could do without. The manuals are very good with providing wiring diagrams, though, so it's not too difficult.
    Sometimes the feeders can be less reliable than the power source, according to Miller forums... so you definitely want to test the feeder as well as the power source ASAP.

That XMT unit is identical to mine, same options and same 3phase-only input. Looks in better condition visually, though.

It's a smart unit, if you made a welding cart for it then it would be a beautiful workshop machine, matching cooler the lot :)

metalmelt and Tom Mooijman like this.
  4. hotponyshoes Member

Check the price of the amphenol plugs first just incase the interconnect cable is missing.
    Last interconnect I had to make up (not a miller) cost about £150 for the plugs and the cable.

To be fair, if it was my own welder i would have just swapped the connectors for something cheaper.

metalmelt and Tom Mooijman like this.
  5. Tom Mooijman Member

Thanks for the pointers. I ended up passing on the machines, as there were no cables included at all and he did not want to sell it with the warranty that the machines were in working condition. Too bad because I read some really good things about the XMT's, and thought this was a reasonable deal. If he'd given me the warranty I would've bought them..
    Another thing is that we decided to try to sell the dairy farm in Holland (due to the political climate movements regarding the agricultural industries in the Netherlands, it's been bad for years but now it's just getting absurd), and start somewhere else (Canada). This would mean different power supplies etc, and then there is no point making a big investment now and having to try to sell it a year later since it is not able to run off the Canadian grid.
    I'm grateful for all the help and guidance from you guys, and this doesn't mean I'm not looking for a new welder anymore. I'll keep you posted.

Munkul likes this.
  6. Tom Mooijman Member

Just a quick update; I stumbled across a miller XMT 350 cc/cv with a Miller Suitcase x-treme 12VS at an auction in good condition. I was able to get it at a really good price.. The suitcase came with a flux wire mig torch for 2mm wire, and also an almost unused roll of 2mm innershield NS3M wire. I don't think we'll have much use for the torch and wire, but we'll never know. I think we'll have some fun with this welder. Thanks again for the input.

LeoMkII, eddie49 and Munkul like this.
Advertisements