Advice on lacquering

1. Mannyroad New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently re-spraying my Harley bodywork and have completed the basecoat (dark metallic green) and first stage lacquering on most parts. Having flatted back with 1500 grit I've airbrushed my final artwork and applied 3 further coats of 2k lacquer. Just need to let this harden up before final compound and polishing. All well and good.

However, I overlooked lacquering my oil tank when I did the other bits. Ooops. So, my problem is that the oil tank has been in basecoat for about 3 weeks. I'd rather not have to flat it and re-basecoat it because I've run out of the basecoat. I guess I could maybe get a quarter litre and apply another coat and then lacquer straight after flash off but I was wondering if I might get away with lacquering it as is, though I'm guessing I know the answer to this deep down. Any helpful thoughts?

2. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    you can do it , on a car thats living outside 24/7 it might result in lacquer peel later on in life , id imagine you keep the bike indoors at least some of the time so it may never be an issue

3. norsa

norsa old school painter

I'm with Steve. You could give it a light key with grey scotchbrite but being a dark green you could lose the metallic depth. If it were me, I would extra thin the first coat of clear so the solvent attacks the base, light to medium coat, let it flash right off then load the clear on.
    Nick

4. Daz2012 Member

Staffs,UK
    Definitely do NOT sand the basecoat and then spray clear on it.
    DO buy some more basecoat,scuff it,spray more basecoat and then clear it...... I wouldn't even leave it overnight before clearing but i do understand that for custom work it can be unavoidable

5. Dcal Member

I just scrapped all the lacquer off the boot lid on my project with a wood chisel leaving the base coat behind.
    The base coat had stuck extremely well.

I assume the previous painter had left the base coat too long before lacquering but don't really know.
    It looked like a decent job but started lifting in places.

6. norsa

norsa old school painter

Yes, that's what happens when you leave it too long. Normally all is well till a tiny stone chip gets it or a bird drops a message on it then it just goes all pete tong.

Dcal and vw1 like this.
  7. Mannyroad New Member

Sorry for the delay in replying. First, cheers for the comments guys. I've gone with Norsa's suggestion of a thin light coat oa lacquer, letting it flash off well before the next flood coat. All looks great, but time will tell i guess, though I do keep my bikes garaged and covered and they do less than 1000 miles per year on average, so not much exposure.

Ready for compounding and polishing now. Just need to track down a decent electric 3" DA polisher for a fair price. It's hard to hold bike bodywork and helmets and use a 5"/6" machine. Any suggestions on decent polishers would be welcomed.

8. norsa

norsa old school painter

You're going to struggle with a 3" mate. My 6" is electric but 3" is a sealey pneumatic.

Advertisements